Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#38547 by fazman
Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:27 pm
I've purchased 2 telo devices from Costco recently and both of them fail to activate online from the https://www.ooma.com/activate site. I have to go through the entire process of getting the error message on the final step of the credit card details and then I have to wait until the phone support people are available and GO AGAIN through the entire process so the support rep can send a screen shot.

Whats worst is the support rep is forcing me to give up my credit card info to him over the phone.
The email support doesn't have any feature for me to upload a screen shot of the error message on my side.

What can you guys do to get all these Ooma devices from costco up and running without having a support call:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... opnav=&s=1

I'm sure you have a wonderful product... but you need to make sure your first customer contact point is a strong and positive experience. So far it's been a headache to get your product running. What can you do better in 2010 for this?

The error message i got on both devices is:
"[0] System Could Not Complete Your Request - Please Re-Try Or Contact Support.
Error Code: 1000/300"

I've been getting this error message for the past week. The only way the first device was able to activate was after the support rep call to put in a trouble ticket. What is funny is... I bet my credit card details are in the trouble ticket and most likely it's probably in clear text in their DB. I'm also sure that almost any support person can go grab my details since the entire 16 digit string is shown (not just the last four). What ever happened to security at these companies now a days??? <sigh>
#38550 by southsound
Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:41 pm
#38558 by Ferrets
Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:41 am
I don't think its COSTCO purchase issue only

When I try settting up my hub w/ premier - Ooma won't accept any of my known good credit cards :?

I've resorted to upgrading to premier right away because I would like to get two numbers ported to the device - but the second # selection CC auth process just bombs - I was hoping giving Ooma more $ would get me that number....

& while we are on that - whats the story with premier anyway - if you upgrade to premier with your telo - you get a second handset & free # port - with my hub, get no (nada) handset - get one # port & pay for my second - sounds fair right?

southsound, thanks for the keen insight :? - sums up a thousand words (or posts) - what I see here is *not* good - don't think you intended chicken little in that context though.
#38564 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:10 am
Ferrets wrote:I don't think its COSTCO purchase issue only

When I try settting up my hub w/ premier - Ooma won't accept any of my known good credit cards :?

I've resorted to upgrading to premier right away because I would like to get two numbers ported to the device - but the second # selection CC auth process just bombs - I was hoping giving Ooma more $ would get me that number....

& while we are on that - whats the story with premier anyway - if you upgrade to premier with your telo - you get a second handset & free # port - with my hub, get no (nada) handset - get one # port & pay for my second - sounds fair right?

southsound, thanks for the keen insight :? - sums up a thousand words (or posts) - what I see here is *not* good - don't think you intended chicken little in that context though.

Granted, it's hard to see humor in problems that are directly affecting you. The OP expressed concern that it was necessary to give his/her credit card number to the Ooma customer service rep, and then went on to make assumptions that the credit card number was accessible in clear text to every support person and lamented the supposed lack of security. In fact the only way to keep your credit card number a secret is to never give it out, which makes the use of credit cards kind of pointless, and makes one think of sky-is-falling humor. Credit card companies typically protect the user from fraudulent use if such use is reported in a reasonable time. I don't follow the restaurant waiter to whom I've handed my card back to the cash register to watch him, but I do read my statement every month. If Ooma is known to be handling credit card information in an insecure way then that knowledge should be reported and corrected, but just because you need to reveal the card info to an Ooma representative is not evidence of a lack of security.
#38569 by Ferrets
Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 am
Ok _ OK

I think its a great thing that you guys take the time out to help us out. THANK YOU! :D

The title of this post is "activation is broken" The OP and myself still can't get CC activation - I think the CC auth page is KAPUT. Thats why I'm here - I really don't have too many concerns about my CC info being swiped. I'd like to purchase my premier & get my second line working.

(not to side track here, but just went through this with my discover card - six airline tickets from ATL & JFK to Detroit purchased & used - kinda nuts considering they got through TSA w/ ID???? WTF!)
#38572 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
Have you tried different browsers? I know Ooma has been having difficulty with a number of areas of their recently revamped website, and some of the issues (not all) are browser compatibility related. If you have not already done so, try Firefox.
#38853 by fazman
Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:51 pm
Why is it that your support team doesn't actually allow customers to be passed up to higher tear support reps who have access to resolve issues. I mean a teir 1 person can only get you so far with collecting info from the back of the OOMA device sticker and telling you to power cycle the device.
#38854 by fazman
Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:57 pm
Groundhound wrote:Have you tried different browsers? I know Ooma has been having difficulty with a number of areas of their recently revamped website, and some of the issues (not all) are browser compatibility related. If you have not already done so, try Firefox.

I have already tried IE 7 and FF 3.5.5 on Windows XP SP3, IE 8 on Windows 7, and on my Mac book Pro pro with Mac OS X and FF 3.5.5... still no good. The problem is an issue with your nazi DB not allowing people to activate or with having corrupted data. Why not give your support reps a tool which can resolve these matters quickly by entering in the data needed manually. Your support people should be able to support your customers... if not... they are no better then just allowing us to type in our own issues to you (Whichi i have already done and documented all the OOMA device details and still no response).

This stuff better be worth it or I'm going to return this crap back to costco and tell all my friends that OOMA is vaporware that can't be turned on.
#38862 by fazman
Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:01 pm
Finally after a Sr rep called me back and i was still being forced to give up my credit card details... i put my foot down and said no. She eventually had to give in and activated my device using their internal tools. They were still very elusive about what the issue was and how they were going to fix the problem.

In the end... the local number i want to choose which was available for the past 4 days had dissappeared in the period of time from talking with the Sr rep on the call back. So now i'm out the number (and only one i can choose for my entire city). <sigh>

I reallllly need to complain to Costco about this experience in hopes that they will stop purchasing OOMA devices due to poor support. At least with an impact in the pocket book i can get these people to shape up to be a responsible corporation. It's very obvious that the support people in the phillipines really do not care how the company does.
#38866 by bw1
Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:06 pm
fazman wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Have you tried different browsers? I know Ooma has been having difficulty with a number of areas of their recently revamped website, and some of the issues (not all) are browser compatibility related. If you have not already done so, try Firefox.

I have already tried IE 7 and FF 3.5.5 on Windows XP SP3, IE 8 on Windows 7, and on my Mac book Pro pro with Mac OS X and FF 3.5.5... still no good. The problem is an issue with your nazi DB not allowing people to activate or with having corrupted data. Why not give your support reps a tool which can resolve these matters quickly by entering in the data needed manually. Your support people should be able to support your customers... if not... they are no better then just allowing us to type in our own issues to you (Whichi i have already done and documented all the OOMA device details and still no response).

This stuff better be worth it or I'm going to return this crap back to costco and tell all my friends that OOMA is vaporware that can't be turned on.

Groundhound, along with most of us here trying to help other users, is not an Ooma employee. There are some here though and they are identified as Ooma moderators.