Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37993 by kennaugh
Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:13 pm
I am new to ooma, I am having my telephone number ported. I just recevied an email from ooma;
"if you have DSL on the same number that you requested to port, you will lose our internet connection when the number is ported, ooma will not work without a broadband connection."

I have both a telephone number and DSL from Comcast. They come through the same wall connection, then there is a splitter one side for DSL and the other is for the telephone land line. Is this sufficient or do I need something else? In other words when I lose my telephone number (via porting) will I lose the DSL?
Thanks
#37995 by SteelCase
Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:28 pm
I would call your telephone company. I had my number ported and the landline was terminated on the day the port became effective (about 2 weeks after my request) which was not what I wanted (I wanted to keep the landline as a backup). I do not have DSL but I would not be surprised if your line would be terminated also.
#37997 by southsound
Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:38 pm
kennaugh wrote:I have both a telephone number and DSL from Comcast. They come through the same wall connection, then there is a splitter one side for DSL and the other is for the telephone land line. Is this sufficient or do I need something else? In other words when I lose my telephone number (via porting) will I lose the DSL?
Thanks

Are you sure that it is DSL and not a Cable Internet connection? I was not aware that Comcast used DSL to deliver broadband Internet. Of course I learn new things every day so this could be one of those educational moments.
#38041 by kennaugh
Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:57 am
Thanks for the replies Southbound and SteelCase. My mistake, I have AT&T, Comcast is for the TV.

From the wall jack I have a splitter one side says DSL and one side says Phone. From the DSL jack I have a line going to my router (2Wire). From the email I got from ooma I'm confused. If AT&T ports the number to ooma, and I drop my land line, will I also lose the DSL? The DSL is paid separately from the telephone line, but they both come into the same wall jack.
#38046 by Groundhound
Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:59 am
If your DSL and phone service are truly separate, that is a different account number and statement, you may be OK with porting/canceling your phone without disrupting your DSL, but you should make sure with AT&T that your DSL is independent of your phone service. In any case you will probably want to get your DSL wiring changed so that the DSL wire pair that comes to that jack is isolated from the rest of your house wiring. Ideally you would have two jack connections on that wall plate, one that supplies DSL on a home run from an outside splitter and the other that is interconnected to the rest of your home wiring and can be physically disconnected from AT&T's line at the demarc box outside.
#38320 by kennaugh
Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:29 pm
Suspicions confirmed. I checked with AT&T today and my porting is indeed scheduled for 12/29/09, however, they were scheduled to cancel both the telephone number and DSL. A wonderful tech took care of me. At least we'll see come 12/29/09.

Even though my telephone line and DSL are separate lines and bills they were scheduled to cancel both. Whose fault is that, ooma or AT & T, I don't know. She gave me a hint, never when dealing with a telephone company in a porting situation use the word cancel, only use the word MOVE.