Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37783 by mutt
Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:33 am
can ooma hub be hooked up downstream of computer. If so, How?

I do not want my computer running thru my OOMA device.

I have DSL. I have 2 outlets in the room. I have a Westell Wireless Router/ modem combination.

The instructiona say to hook my computer ethernet cable into the back of the OOMA device..

That is probably a bad ifea, as it will has potential to compromise security.

Other VOIP adapters can bee hooked up downstream of the computer and only through the ROUTER/MODEM.

Also, can a line be hooked back into wall and run a second generic phone thrue the other outlets in the home.

I have DSL service.

Thnx.
#37790 by bw1
Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:26 am
mutt wrote:can ooma hub be hooked up downstream of computer. If so, How?

I do not want my computer running thru my OOMA device.

I have DSL. I have 2 outlets in the room. I have a Westell Wireless Router/ modem combination.

The instructiona say to hook my computer ethernet cable into the back of the OOMA device..

That is probably a bad ifea, as it will has potential to compromise security.

Other VOIP adapters can bee hooked up downstream of the computer and only through the ROUTER/MODEM.

Also, can a line be hooked back into wall and run a second generic phone thrue the other outlets in the home.

I have DSL service.

Thnx.

I guess in theory, you could connect the Ooma device to a computer that is setup with 2 Ethernet connections and configured as a router/firewall with one input Ethernet connection and one output. But in general, I would say that you can't connect the Ooma device to your computer.

As detailed in the (Telo) installation instructions, you can connect your Ooma in one of 2 ways, between your modem and router (or computer) or behind your router.

In your case, since you have an integrated modem/router, you can only connect your Ooma to the modem/router. Your computer(s), also connected to the modem/router, would not send any traffic through the Ooma device.

With that said, there are no potential security compromises with either connection method. The Ooma has a built in router/hardware firewall and sends no internet traffic except that directly related to your phone calls. And unlike other VoIP providers, all traffic sent to Ooma's servers is encrypted.
#37793 by bw1
Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:41 am
mutt wrote:Also, can a line be hooked back into wall and run a second generic phone thrue the other outlets in the home.

I have DSL service.

Yes, there are many threads here which address this. You can search for more information.
Ooma also has a web page with info: https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... hone-jacks which is referred to in the Telo installation instructions.

There are other links on that site with more info and here is another: http://mi-telecom.org/distribute.html

Since you have DSL, you can't disconnect your incoming wiring and you may have to isolate your connection using the 2nd line in your home wiring.