Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37749 by pmaggan
Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:13 pm
I just got a new Telo and am trying to get it installed. I have Business Class cable modem service through Time Warner with 4 static IP addresses. Of these 4 IPs, I currently use two, 1 for the home side and 1 for the business side. I initially installed my Telo behind the router on my home side IP address. The Telo seems to work ok. What I would really like to do, however, is to have the Telo connected directly to my cable modem and have it use one of the two unused IP addresses and have nothing else connected to the Telo. Is this possible? As of now, that's how I have it hooked up and the Telo just flashes the red logo. Thanks.
#37778 by murphy
Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:27 am
Does your cable modem have multiple LAN ports?
If not, you can use an inexpensive switch (not router) to provide them.
Connect a computer to the Home port of the Telo and configure the Telo to use one of your unused static IP addresses.
On the Network page, where you set up the static IP address, also check the radio button that says to use the built in MAC address for the modem port. Once this is done, connect the Internet port of the Telo to the cable modem or the switch if you had to go that route.
It should sync up at that point but if the business class modem is anything like a residential modem, it will require that the modem be power cycled. I would not expect that to be true but it's possible.

In static IP address setup the Router Address is what is usually called the Gateway address.
#37788 by pmaggan
Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:23 am
Thanks. Now, the more I think about this, I am wondering if having the Telo on its own IP address is the best idea. Since I have the home side IP and biz side IP also, will I be sacrificing QOS since the Telo won't "see" any of the other network traffic? Would I be better off inserting the Telo in the home side IP address, since that constitutes the primary bandwidth usage? Thanks in advance.
#37797 by bw1
Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:20 am
pmaggan wrote:Thanks. Now, the more I think about this, I am wondering if having the Telo on its own IP address is the best idea. Since I have the home side IP and biz side IP also, will I be sacrificing QOS since the Telo won't "see" any of the other network traffic? Would I be better off inserting the Telo in the home side IP address, since that constitutes the primary bandwidth usage? Thanks in advance.

If you connect the Telo before the router on your home side, you will get the advantage of conditional QOS provided by the Telo. The Telo provides QOS when a call is in progress. You can adjust the Telo QOS settings at http://setup.ooma.com.

Of course, there may still be traffic on your business side that could affect call quality. However, if you have a good internet connection, the QOS may not be necessary at all. You may need to try different setups and see what works best for you.
#37820 by murphy
Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:25 am
I would hope that with a business modem, with 4 assigned IP addresses, that you have 4 pipes to the internet that do not interfere with each other anymore that your neighbor interferes with your connection. I would also expect a business modem to know how to handle multiple streams of traffic.
#38070 by Shutterstuff
Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:42 am
murphy wrote:I would hope that with a business modem, with 4 assigned IP addresses, that you have 4 pipes to the internet that do not interfere with each other anymore that your neighbor interferes with your connection. I would also expect a business modem to know how to handle multiple streams of traffic.

The IP addresses have nothing to do with "pipes". I have 32 IP addresses for my home office and servers. From what I have found, you cannot put a static IP into an Ooma device. They only work off DHCP. I had to set up a dedicated Linksys router for my Ooma Hub so that it would work on my network without interference. My Vonage router (Linksys RTP300?) had the ability to have a dedictaed IP programmed into it. This was convenient for me.

For most home setups, the Ooma Hub needs to be between the modem (cable or DSL) and router. If you have a "Home office" and have static IP addresses, you will need a router in front of the Ooma Hub.
#38071 by murphy
Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:48 am
The ooma can be configured to have a static IP address on the Network page of setup.
Select static at the top and fill in the parameters in the static section.
#38075 by Shutterstuff
Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:05 pm
murphy wrote:The ooma can be configured to have a static IP address on the Network page of setup.
Select static at the top and fill in the parameters in the static section.

Where is this "Network Page"? I think I am missing a manual...
#38089 by Shutterstuff
Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:47 pm
murphy wrote:Connect a computer to the Home port of Ooma.
Connect to:

http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1

Click on Network in the left column.

I found the URL on their web site KB and it did not work. I just now tried the IP above and it does not work either. This was with my PC connected directly to the Hub's Home port. My PC has a static IP from the router so I can port forward VNC to it (192.168.x.x). Do I need to use DHCP from the Ooma Hub for this to work?

And thanks so much for your help!