Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37739 by canaanskier
Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:03 pm
My Verizon landline number was ported over to Ooma in less than 2 weeks. The service on the Ooma line is indistinguishable from what I was receiving from Verizon. Very pleased! The only remaining issue is that Ooma fixes the System tab under Preferences so that I can select the dial tone.
#37809 by byersthja
Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:26 am
Were either of you Verizon FiOS subscribers with your phone service as part of a FiOS bundle? Just curious. I will be calling, and recording my call, to Verizon later today to remove my phone service from my FiOS bundle, and move to a new TV/Internet bundle. I will then port my Verizon number to Ooma.
#37836 by UrbanVoyeur
Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:31 am
byersthja wrote:Were either of you Verizon FiOS subscribers with your phone service as part of a FiOS bundle?

No. I had Verzion POTS and DSL on the same line. They took the telephone service off the DSL line without the need for a dry loop. Everything was handled smoothly by Verizon.

Unfortunately, FIOS is not available in my area :-(
#37853 by hteinlin
Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:10 pm
Seems to me the problems in porting might be caused by the old carriers. Reading alot of the people with problems (Vonage) might be just a coicidence?

One thing for sure I decided to stay clear of Vonage at all cost. My friend had it and when he went to cancel they stuck him with a hidden term contract I guess he new know off.... He ended up having to pay a penalty of $80 for cancelling. The sad part is he actually liked the service, he just didn't need it for awhile while he was getting ready to move and didn't know if and when he would get reestablished. All he said is after that is he will never use Vonage again nor recommend it to anybody else.

Maybe Vonage is screwing people up purposefully in hopes of people blaming things on Ooma and switching back?

---------------------------

I just got my number ported today and it only took 2 weeks. Coming from Cox everything seems smooth right now.
My wife hasn't been able to tell the difference in the phone service, she was shocked after I installed it she asked me ok now how do I operate this contraption. I said just make a call like you always do. Just the dialtone when you first turn on the phone will be different. She was amazed.