Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37727 by gigelll
Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Can I install a different phone for the second line, maybe using the scout for the other one? Or if I can setup the distinctive ringing for either line, that will work... Or do I just need to push 1 or 2 on the hub when the phone rings?
Also, for those of you who already ported the number, did you plug in the hub (WALL) to the phone jack in the wall? Or connect the phone to the hub where it says WALL?
I am pretty new to ooma, so these questions might be silly for some, bear with me. ;)
#37728 by hpepper
Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:09 pm
First - welcome to Ooma! - not a silly question at all. The Scout will be used for the second line, so, yes, you will plug a different phone into the Scout. This will work for 60 days during the free trial of Premiere after which time you need to subscribe to Premiere and pay for it or lose the second line.

The wall port of the Hub will connect to the wall port of the Scout either thru the house cabling or directly with a phone cord between the two.

Do you have cable or DSL service? DSL has some additional potential problems when using the Scout.

Tell us about your setup so we can recommend some more ideas.
#37742 by gigelll
Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 pm
I have DSL with phone on the same line from Verizon. I plan on porting the number to ooma and sign up for the premier service, if I can use the second line the way I want... Meaning to give a second phone (with the second phone line) to another office. I can run wires to the scout if I have to, or I can plug in the scout next to my hub and give the guy a cordless phone.
#37747 by gigelll
Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:57 pm
I forgot to mention that I would like the second line to have a dedicated (different) phone number, but reading through the manual I am beginning to believe that is not the case.
#37753 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:22 pm
gigelll wrote:I forgot to mention that I would like the second line to have a dedicated (different) phone number, but reading through the manual I am beginning to believe that is not the case.

You can configure the Scout to only ring with the second number by assigning the Scout to that number, but it will still be possible for the Scout phone to answer the first number even if it's not ringing - the Scouts line button will flash silently with the ringing first line call and can be pressed to answer.
#37780 by gigelll
Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:11 am
It's OK if the scout flashes, as long as the phone doesn't ring... So that means I can have a second phone number linked to the ooma. How do I do that, I didn't see anything in the instructions ( I read them pretty fast, it's possible I just didn't see it).
#37800 by Groundhound
Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:01 am
Adding a second phone number is normally done in my.ooma in the Preferences > Phone numbers section. After you add the number you can "Add a personal device" on the same page. This is where you would assign the Scout to that number. You will create a separate password for that number which will give a login for that number to my.ooma for voicemail and other settings. You would then setup the VM account from the phone attached to the scout as you did previously for the main number on the hub.
#37821 by gigelll
Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:37 am
I got stuck at assigning a different phone number for the scout, it seems like nothing happens when I choose the new number. Is the site down (or with bugs)?
#37824 by Groundhound
Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:07 am
gigelll wrote:I got stuck at assigning a different phone number for the scout, it seems like nothing happens when I choose the new number. Is the site down (or with bugs)?

I think the site is having problems with this, once you get to where you have the number you want displayed, call customer service and have them complete adding it to your account.