Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37281 by FRGG
Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:36 pm
Hello:

I just want to know how to connect my Panasonic (base w/1 handset and 4 extra handsets) and take advantage of the second line, I connected the phone's base to the Ooma main base but now I don't have my second line functioning at all...any ideas???

#37282 by dsinternet
Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:47 pm
Are you using the Hub or the Telo?
The Telo requires you to have a Telo handset in order to use the 2nd phone line.
The Hub requires a Scout in order to use the 2nd phone line. I do not own a hub, so I am not 100% sure.
#37285 by FRGG
Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:00 pm
dsinternet wrote:Are you using the Hub or the Telo?
The Telo requires you to have a Telo handset in order to use the 2nd phone line.
The Hub requires a Scout in order to use the 2nd phone line. I do not own a hub, so I am not 100% sure.

I have Hub & Scout, but since this is a multi-handset phone, I connected the main base (the only one) to the Hub and the handsets doesn't have any phone jacks to connect to since they are only receivers.
#37291 by dsinternet
Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:10 pm
FRGG wrote:
I have Hub & Scout, but since this is a multi-handset phone, I connected the main base (the only one) to the Hub and the handsets doesn't have any phone jacks to connect to since they are only receivers.

I understand what you are saying. I think you need to have something pluged into the Scout in order for the 2nd phone line to work. I have never used the Hub/Scout so I am guessing here. Maybe you could plug the Hub into you home phone wiring, and then connect your cordless phone to the Scout? Like I said this is only a guess. Someone with a Hub/Scout system should be able to answer your question.
By the way, I wish I had the Hub/Scout system instead of the Telo. I don't like the Telo handset, so I will never be able to use the 2nd phone line (since I am not planning on getting the poorly made Telo handset). On the bright side, I don't have a reason to spend money on the Premier service since the 2nd phone line was the only reason I wanted the Premier service. Live and learn, wish I would have gotten the Hub/Scout.

Looks like Groundhound posted your answer above.
#37305 by oldanbo
Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:13 pm
dsinternet wrote:
FRGG wrote:

I understand what you are saying. I think you need to have something pluged into the Scout in order for the 2nd phone line to work. I have never used the Hub/Scout so I am guessing here. Maybe you could plug the Hub into you home phone wiring, and then connect your cordless phone to the Scout? Like I said this is only a guess. Someone with a Hub/Scout system should be able to answer your question.
By the way, I wish I had the Hub/Scout system instead of the Telo. I don't like the Telo handset, so I will never be able to use the 2nd phone line (since I am not planning on getting the poorly made Telo handset). On the bright side, I don't have a reason to spend money on the Premier service since the 2nd phone line was the only reason I wanted the Premier service. Live and learn, wish I would have gotten the Hub/Scout.

I'm not quite sure what you mean as regards the Telo unit. :?

I can answer calls that come in on the second line with my non-telo handset. I can call out on the 2nd line too. I just press the talk button twice on my non-telo cordless handset.
#37314 by Davesworld
Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:03 am
oldanbo wrote:
dsinternet wrote:
FRGG wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean as regards the Telo unit. :?

I can answer calls that come in on the second line with my non-telo handset. I can call out on the 2nd line too. I just press the talk button twice on my non-telo cordless handset.

Being able to call using the second number or the first but only one at a time is pointless, the second number is only used as a virtual number in your scenario but to use as a discreet second line is not possible on a telo without a telo handset. Otherwise the second number is just a virtual number to fiddle with and say gee whiz, I can call out with another number, nothing to write home about.

With the hub and scout, you can have two separate phone systems be able to be used simultaneously and even separate them so the second number only goes to the scout and the primary only goes to the hub. I have both hub scout and a telo, the telo I'm just tinkering with at the moment until I'm sure I can really use it full time. I'm avoiding the telo handset like the plague. They got the telo half right anyway. I was going to give the telo to someone overseas since it already comes with a 220v capable wall wart power supply. We love having thirteen wall warts hanging off our cords don't we? Just don't drop one on your toes with bare feet, it hurts. Warts they are indeed.
#37317 by amarryat
Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:06 am
FRGG wrote:Hello:

I just want to know how to connect my Panasonic (base w/1 handset and 4 extra handsets) and take advantage of the second line, I connected the phone's base to the Ooma main base but now I don't have my second line functioning at all...any ideas???

I have the Hub/Scout combination. In order to be able to use both lines in one phone system, that would have to be a 2 line phone system. I too have Panasonic DECT phones, but they are attached to the Hub, and another completely separate phone is connected to the Scout. I basically have the Scout right next to the Hub. If I replaced my Panasonic 1 line system with a 2 line system, I would plug the Hub and the Scout into the Panasonic base.
#37351 by Davesworld
Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:07 am
amarryat wrote:
FRGG wrote:Hello:

I have the Hub/Scout combination. In order to be able to use both lines in one phone system, that would have to be a 2 line phone system. I too have Panasonic DECT phones, but they are attached to the Hub, and another completely separate phone is connected to the Scout. I basically have the Scout right next to the Hub. If I replaced my Panasonic 1 line system with a 2 line system, I would plug the Hub and the Scout into the Panasonic base.

That's what I did, just hooked my scout directly to the hub.

I really do hope future versions of the Telo can simply offer a second phone jack as some ata units on the market do. It seems like the landline feature of both is the single most misunderstood feature as well as cause of misconfiguration and confusion not to mention misinformation by some reviewers. There are still folks out there that think Ooma uses people's home phone lines as PSTN presences in their area codes for callers elsewhere. Ooma abandoned that idea early on. I think this is where the decision to allow people to use their landlines with Ooma came from, they had the extra RJ11 jack in place already but this last statement is pure speculation on my part, if someone else knows better, speak up. I think the landline jack should be used as a second line and be done with it.
#37538 by oomg
Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:56 pm
At home, I am using the Hub/Scout. I have a rather large home. We currently have 12 cordless stations working on my primary number. These are connected up through four separate cordless base stations; one with 6 units at the Hub; one with 4 units at a separate Scout; and two separate cordless stations to separate Scouts in the upstairs bedrooms. I also have a second line (with Premier Service) connected to an assigned Scout in my home office/study.

Now, so long as I am not using the second line that is assigned to the Scout, two separate calls can be completed on the primary line at the same time if two separate cordless systems are used. Of course, if two calls are being made at the same time on my primary number (by using separate base station cordless systems), I cannot make an outgoing call on the second number assigned to the Scout.