Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#36067 by linux_paul
Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:27 pm
Hopefully someone can help me with this unique problem I'm having. After activating, I hooked up the ooma (hub) to my dsl modem, them the pc into the hub, then phone into the hub. All was working fine until a couple days ago when I moved the hub to my wiring closet (to put it out of reach of little hands) keeping the pc connected to the hub but now wiring the landline to the ooma too.

The trouble seemed to start when I tried to call the landline from my cellphone to see if the phone connected to the ooma would ring. It didn't. Then my pc connection seemed really slow. I could still get ooma dial-tone but the hub didn't seem to recognize the landline at all.

In an attempt to 'fix' things I returned the hub to its original location next to the pc, only now the pc wouldn't connect to the internet at all!? After rebooting the pc, dsl modem, and hub I still could not get an IP from the hub.

After troubleshooting possible problems with the pc I decided to just remove the hub and reconnect to the dsl modem directly. Now I have an IP address and can connect to the internet, but pages seem to take way too long to load ( about 30 seconds ). I even reinstalled the OS thinking that would fix any changes made to the pc but pages still load soo slow.

Any suggestions on what to try next?
#36083 by Groundhound
Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:24 pm
linux_paul wrote:...but now wiring the landline to the ooma too.

Can you describe in more detail what you did in this step?
#36095 by Groundhound
Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:52 pm
linux_paul wrote:I connected a line cord from the phone wiring in the closet to the ooma hub.

To where on the Hub?
#36096 by southsound
Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:54 pm
Sounds like in the beginning it was a simple case of your DSL signal getting squashed by connecting your landline (that carries it) to your hub (that basically disrupts it). If you are going to use a landline that carries DSL with any device other than a DSL modem, you must either use a DSL splitter (like the Wilcom PS15 - not the typical phone splitters you can buy at Radio Shack) or a microfilter. Otherwise the signal is attenuated and your Internet connection will be lost. Also, if you want to use landline integration (which I do not recommend) you need to have ooma provision your hub to allow it.

The question that I have now is why things are not back to normal with the PC connected directly to the modem. Did you leave anything connected to the phone line without a microfilter? Maybe one got lost in the shuffle when you moved things? There should NOT be one on the modem buy any phone must have one. After verifying the connections like I just noted, I would try turning off both the PC and the modem then turn the modem on and let it boot. Then turn on the PC. After things have connected, see how the speed is. You might want to run a speed test like http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and report back the results along with what your DSL speed is supposed to be.
#36099 by linux_paul
Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 pm
Groundhound wrote:To where on the Hub?

To the wall port.

southsound wrote:.. DSL signal getting squashed by connecting your landline...

I do have a dsl splitter installed at the demarc. POTS on blue/wht DSL on orange/wht.

southsound wrote:You might want to run a speed test like http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and report back the results along with what your DSL speed is supposed to be.


VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1010632 bps
Upload speed: 383400 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 15 ms
Average download pause: 11 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 46 ms
Average round trip time to server: 51 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1040000bps
Route concurrency: 1.029059
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 11397384bps

DSL speed package is 1Mbps down / 384 up.
Thanks for the suggestions.
#36134 by Groundhound
Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:54 am
Your stats look good, and the speed reported by those stats are close to your subscribed rates - whichvoip's test typically under reports speed IMO. So I'm puzzled by the otherwise reduced speeds you are observing.

The reason I asked about how you had the landline connected is twofold. One was described in southsound's post about needing Ooma to provision landline integration via the wall port - and I agree that unless you have a very compelling need for this it will likely cause additional problems. The other reason I asked is if you were connecting it to the phone port by mistake and there was still telco voltage on the line, it could cause problems or in some cases even damage. From the article located here: http://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgebase/distributing-ooma-dialtone-all-phone-jacks, this quote:

First possible and most common set up: landline disconnected
You must make sure that your landline has been disconnected. Call your former phone company to confirm.
If the landline is still connected, the Ooma Telo may get damaged and it may void your warranty.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests