Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#36980 by maulloa
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:05 pm
Received the phone L1/L2 splitter. I connected the L1 to the AT&T DSL modem and L2 to the OOMA 'WALL' connection. I then plugged the Scout to the L2 connector in the upstairs bedroom. I powered up the Scout and it went through the power up sequence, first row on followed by the middle lights and finally the last four come on BUT it stopped there. The four bottom lights NEVER went out. I waited about 15 minutes and NADA -they stay on. Is my SCOUT belly up? Or does this behavior have something to do with no link between the Scout and it's mother (the OOMA box)?
#36986 by Groundhound
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:17 pm
Assuming your scout works when plugged directly to the Hub (wall port to wall port) then the issue may be the wiring in your home jacks. If you open the wall plate and look at the wires, are there four wires connected to the jack?
#36990 by maulloa
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:49 pm
OK the SCOUT works when it is directly connected to the OOMA box; that is WALL to WALL with a short phone cable. Reconnected the SCOUT to the upstairs jack and it doesn't work. I'll have to move my bed to gain access to the phone jack.

What is the typical connection within these phone jacks? That is, what color goes to what screw on the phone jack? Looking at the phone plug, two of the four gold pins connect my DSL L1 and the other two are for L2, can you tell me which are which? Is there something I should know before attempting to 'rewire' the phone jacks so as not to violate something with the phone company bringing my DSL down?

Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated.
#37005 by Groundhound
Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:37 pm
There's lots of Google-indexed info out there on wiring phone jacks. If only 2 wires are connected to the jack that feeds your DSL then it's pretty straight forward that a second, unconnected pair is what you need. Depending on the age of your home, there may be more than 4 wires in the box, connected to the jack or just coiled up inside the box. If you're not sure what to do you can post pictures here of the wiring in both jacks/boxes and there's plenty of folks here who can help you figure it out.
#37020 by maulloa
Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:19 pm
Problem solved!! I removed the phone jacks and only two of the four wires were actually connected to the phone jacks. Only the red and green were connected. I then wired the black and yellow to the jacks and the SCOUT blue light came right up and my second line is up and running. Thanks for all your help.