Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35627 by oldanbo
Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:56 pm
Hey, careful who you're calling a traitor here! :)

I rather think that the word convert may apply :!:

I too worked for PacBell in Calif and AT&T in those days provided us with many OS's. I consider myself a converted :!: retiree.

That aside Southsound helps many ooma users here.

Cheers

P.S. I know you were kidding, have a good one.
#35654 by 07pilot4me
Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:27 pm
so finally went with a ooma assigned number and decoupled the landline from the hub. working fine so far. now if i can figure out how to fully take advantage of all this machine has to offer :)
#35838 by tigercruise
Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:40 am
southsound wrote: I used to work for ATT and PacBell so I think I can get things to work fine for you without having to give up the hub which I personally like better than the Telo.

Why the hub better? I'm new to Ooma so bear with me. I purchased the Telo thinking it was an upgrade over the hub (which was cheaper). So, why do you like the hub better? Thanks.
#35865 by southsound
Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:47 am
tigercruise wrote:
southsound wrote: I used to work for ATT and PacBell so I think I can get things to work fine for you without having to give up the hub which I personally like better than the Telo.

Why the hub better? I'm new to Ooma so bear with me. I purchased the Telo thinking it was an upgrade over the hub (which was cheaper). So, why do you like the hub better? Thanks.

Let me try to explain my personal feelings. I have used the hub since February - the Telo since late August. When I bought the hub it was rock solid but I had a really bad problem with echo. ooma was able to fix that by examining my call records and comparing the suspect calls with their routing logs. In a few weeks my service went from "variable" to "stellar" and has stayed that way. When I first started using the Telo it had some issues that have since been corrected by numerous updates to the software that are automatically "pushed" to the unit. Every day my experience gets better with it. The Telo also has a different processor, different VOIP software platform, and will be the system that is capable of doing things that the hub will not merely because of these differences. It also has a built-in DECT 6.0 base that interacts with the proprietary Telo handset. This handset looks great in pictures, but for older eyes like mine, I need glasses to use it. Not true of my Uniden DECT 6.0 handsets. I can even read them in the dark. Some day, I imagine, ooma will put out a new version of the handset that will work with the existing Telo but will have the state of the art display that it is now lacking.

Downside of the Telo for me is that it does not allow wired access to the second line on the system. To use some of the Premier features, you HAVE to access them from a Telo handset. Things like Instant Secold Line, a dedicated second number (like you would have for a fax) and a few others. If the handset range is not great enough for your needs, then you are unable to use those features. I have an 80' long house. The handsets don't do that well in some rooms. I also have a barn that is several hundred feet from the house. I have buried cable to it so I can use a wired connection, but not the Telo handset. With the hub/scout you can have two wired ports and even use a two line phone if you like to access them.

These concerns may not affect most users. Some have smaller properties and better eyesight. Others have no need for a second wired line. For them, the Telo is an excellent choice. In my mind, it is like trying to decide between two luxury cars from a reputable company. Some folks will want the sport coupe, others will be drawn to the SUV. Which one is better? Well if you have 4 kids I think the sport coupe may not be the best "fit". Just my thoughts, YMMV. :cool:
#35879 by 07pilot4me
Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 am
thanks for all the help southside.

i have a question for all:

if i have a Telo, what is required to get the second line/make calls while someone else is on the phone/get calls while someone else is on the phone?????

is a Telo handset required? and if so, can the Telo handset be stashed in a corner and you still get the premier benefits from the 3 panny handsets OR MUST the TELO handset be used for 2nd phone call, 2nd call answer function??

sounds to me that the most common gripe about the Telo is the handset that it is designed to be used with

plan to hook up a 3 handset panny Dect to the Telo
#35888 by murphy
Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm
You must use an Ooma handset to use the instant second line or to use a personal second number.