Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#33819 by MikeekiM
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:27 am
No...that first item won't do it for you... What you want to do is get the DSL "noise" out of your entire voice wiring... The box I suggested does exactly that... There are three pairs of screwdown posts on the DSL box that I suggested... One is for the combined line coming from the telephone company... The other two basically separate the voice from the data centrally... Then you connect up your voice lines to the voice output of the box, and you run a completely separate and dedicated data line to your DSL modem (or you can use the other pair of wires, assuming you have four wires going to each room, and only using one pair).

You would need the dual plate where your DSL model is located and you would label one "voice" and the other "DSL/Data".... Every other outlet can be just a single...

Can you do it yourself? I did... You need to feel reasonably comfortable with phone wiring... And you might need to go into your attic or crawl space to do a wire run if necessary...

Here is a do it yourself telephone primer that could be helpful for you...

http://www.homephonewiring.com/

Edit/Update: Oh...you asked where you would install it... It gets installed at the point there the telco line comes into a central box attached to your house... Some are outside...some are inside... Mine is outside... I just use a short telephone cord as a "jumper" to move the combined line to the DSL box...and then split it out from there... I can take a picture of it and post it later... (though it's not much to look at to be honest)...
Last edited by MikeekiM on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
#33835 by MikeekiM
Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:30 am
Here it is... This is on the outside of my house, and the white wire has a number of copper pairs that bring the combined signal into the splitter, and then bring back the voice and data on two separate pairs... And then they get distributed out from the AT&T box pictured...

#33848 by 07pilot4me
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 pm
i re-read your original post, so the OOMA would go into the "PHONE" and not the "DSL" jack???$

i have a guy quote me $75 to install an outdoor splitter...... if i have him do this, he says he will tell me what wire colors are assigned DSL and which ones are assigned phone and i can wire the Jacks myself....

wanted to confirm that the OOMA would plug into the phone line and not DSL....
#33850 by MikeekiM
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:27 pm
07pilot4me wrote:i re-read your original post, so the OOMA would go into the "PHONE" and not the "DSL" jack???$

i have a guy quote me $75 to install an outdoor splitter...... if i have him do this, he says he will tell me what wire colors are assigned DSL and which ones are assigned phone and i can wire the Jacks myself....

wanted to confirm that the OOMA would plug into the phone line and not DSL....

Correct.
#33852 by MikeekiM
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:40 pm
Let me be 100% clear though... I am taking Post#2's statement that the scout cannot connect via HPNA with DSL present on the line as the cause of your problem...

And this solution I am suggesting separates the data from the voice... So this will absolutely, positively clear that problem up...

But if there is something else that is causing your scout not to work...then you'll need to do some further troubleshooting... One thing is for certain though...you are much better off splitting voice from data centrally in my opinion...
#33855 by 07pilot4me
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:48 pm
and after the "expert" splits the dsl/phone signal outdoors

all i do is go into the phone jack and re-wire the jacks so they correspond color wise to the wires that he assigns DSL and the wires he assigns Phone line
#33859 by MikeekiM
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:55 pm
07pilot4me wrote:and after the "expert" splits the dsl/phone signal outdoors

all i do is go into the phone jack and re-wire the jacks so they correspond color wise to the wires that he assigns DSL and the wires he assigns Phone line

Yes... Assuming you have all four wires going to all your locations, then you would hook the voice wires to each location (ignoring the data line for most of the house)... And then wire up a dual plate with one pair for voice, and one pair for data where your modem is located...

The scout(s) and hub will use the voice lines...they all need to be joined to work properly...

Use that website I referenced above for any help you might need on the wiring...
#33870 by tommies
Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:06 pm
This set up will work with the scout, and a lot less messy wiring, Howver, do not feed the hub dial tone into the house wiring, i.e. Do not connect the hub PHONE port to the wall jack. If you want to feed the hub dial tone to the house wiring, you need a pair of wires that disconnect from the telco signal.
#33876 by 07pilot4me
Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:02 pm
tommies wrote:This set up will work with the scout, and a lot less messy wiring, Howver, do not feed the hub dial tone into the house wiring, i.e. Do not connect the hub PHONE port to the wall jack. If you want to feed the hub dial tone to the house wiring, you need a pair of wires that disconnect from the telco signal.

just got this response from the EBAY seller of the POTS/DSL splitter

if you are using voice over internet you do not use this splitter.

-worldwidetaz

:o

just as i was being sold to the idea, thanks for the advice.... i have a print server on the way (and was going to return for the above setup).

i really wish ooma hired good phone support folks instead of having to resort to the mb....

so to recap: *using landline for dish/security/911 *using ooma for outgoing LD calls *Scout not working so will have to relocate Hub/modem/router to living room :(

1) L1 L2 L1+L2 splitter idea did not work
2) sold on print server idea and relocating Hub/Modem/router
3) was going for the splitting DSL/Phone signal at source and now ???????

IF this thing didn't have so many good reviews it would already be in the Costco return pile.
#33879 by tommies
Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:49 pm
07pilot4me wrote:so to recap: *using landline for dish/security/911 *using ooma for outgoing LD calls *Scout not working so will have to relocate Hub/modem/router to living room :(

1) L1 L2 L1+L2 splitter idea did not work
2) sold on print server idea and relocating Hub/Modem/router
3) was going for the splitting DSL/Phone signal at source and now ???????

IF this thing didn't have so many good reviews it would already be in the Costco return pile.

Let me guess if I understand you correctly. You are about to
  • give up the scout
  • relocate the setup(hub/modem/router)
  • want to feed the hub dial tone to the house wirring
This is real simple It takes about 15-20min(30max) to get it done.
  1. a L1+L2 splitter plugged into a wall jack
  2. connect ooma PHONE port to L2
  3. a DSL flter/splitter (that come with your DSL package) plugged into L1(where DSL signal is)
    • a. connect your DSL modem to the port label DSL/HPNA (you had done this before)
    • b. connect ooma WALL port to the port label PHONE
  4. go to your DEMAC/telco box outside your house (where the phone line comes into the house) and connecting all the wires by their color, i.e. connecting all the wires with the same color together. Do not disconnect the pair that connected on the post, This is your L1 with DSL signal.

Now L1 is your land line, and L2 is OOma line. Don't forget to place a DSL filter if you connect a phone to L1.

If you change your mind, and want to use the scout and forgo the hub dial tone. in step 2) leave the ooma PHONE port empty(ie connect it directly to a phone set) . Plug a duplex splitter to ooma WALL port and connect it to the L2. Now your scout will work when plug in to L2 at another jack in the house.

This wiring explains that if your want it all, you need a 3rd pair of wires.

The following link have some picture
This topic had been discussed and solution/work around was found, Please read this thread for more details. [fixed]Poor DSL Internet Performance