Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#33378 by oomatx
Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:24 pm
Hi Everyone,

I just activated my ooma Hub today and have an issue with my home network. The home has a distribution panel in the master closet which is completely full. There is the Verizon Fios modem and 24 port switch in there. The home has Cat 5 in every room and the entire house is networked so all computers can print and share with eachother, etc.. We only use the wireless for the laptops. So, I set up the ooma hub in the office as that is where the two line cordless phone is located. I set it up in minutes and ooma is working, however, my computer has lost connectivity with our home network and Vista wanted to create a new "Network 2" which threw me off. The other computer in the same office next to me sees the printer but not my computer. So, ooma is working, I have internet access but I can't print or access my home network. I have the ooma pluuged in as follows: Wall is terminated Cat 5. Wall to ooma hub is plugged in to modem port. Computer is plugged into home port on ooma hub. Prior to install the computer was plugged into the wall directly. I can't move the ooma to master closet as the panel is full.. Any ideas? Would a basic switch in the office fix this? I was thinking wall to switch. ooma modem port to switch and computer to switch?? I appreciate your help!

Thanks
#33379 by murphy
Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:06 pm
Yes, a switch will solve your problem. Connect the switch to the wall. Connect the ooma modem port to the switch. Connect the computer to the switch. Leave the Home port of the ooma empty.
#33384 by tommies
Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:35 pm
Yes. There is a caveat. Before remove your pc from ooma HOME port, go to http://setup.ooma.com
1. on Network page, change the MODEM port MAC address to use its build in MAC, this is essential(explain below). Optional, assign a static ip for ooma MODEM port--this also can be done from the router.
2. on Advanced page: copy the HOME port ip into its own DMZ field, This will allows you to access the hub setup page from within your LAN using the static ip above.

From my experience, the ooma hub(not the new telo) by default will copy the MAC address of the pc that plugs into its HOME ports. When you rearrange with a switch, now both your pc and ooma will have the same MAC on your network, and this will create lots of headache later on.
#33385 by oomatx
Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:43 pm
Hi Murphy,

Did you also do what tommies suggested? Do you think the pc and ooma will start having IP issues if I don't use the built in MAC?
Last edited by oomatx on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#33386 by oomatx
Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:48 pm
Hi tommies,

I posted this for you to look at but it appears that the built in MAC address is the same as the automatic?
Any suggestions?

MODEM Port MAC Address
Automatic: 00:18:61:02:C1:EF
Use Built in: 00:18:61:02:C1:EF
Use Custom: :::::
HOME Port MAC Address
Built in: 00:18:61:02:C1:EE
#33388 by murphy
Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:10 pm
oomatx wrote:Hi Murphy,

Did you also do what tommies suggested? Do you think the pc and ooma will start having IP issues if I don't use the built in MAC?

Set your unit to use the built-in MAC address.
MAC cloning has not been needed for at least 8 years. This is the only device that I am aware of that defaults to having MAC cloning enabled.

Also change the Network Connection to Dynamic (DHCP) instead of automatic.
#33389 by tommies
Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:12 pm
It seams that ooma get it righ now, default auto to grap its own build in MAC. My problem was way early in Mar/Apr.

You're be fine regardless which one to choose. I'd be safe on the sure side, I go with the build in, leave no room for guessing.

Welcome to ooma.
#33755 by oomatx
Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:30 pm
So I bought a switch and that solved the problem. I have ported my first line. For those who ported two lines... Did you do so at the same time or wait a few days? I have a two line cordless phone with bases throughout the home so what I am doing in positioning the scout and ooma side by side right next to the 2 line cordless phone. I would imagine this is the correct set up?? Right now line 1 is an ooma temp. number and line 2 is plugged into the wall and is using a land line until I port line 2. If I were to plug in the scout now, would I get another temp. phone number from ooma? I guess I could always forward my existing lines to the temp ooma numbers until both lines are ported. Also, now that the home port is not connected, I don't see the ooma on the network, how do I get into the hub? I tried ooma's 172... IP and I am not getting in.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.