Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#33265 by okaycoral
Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:38 pm
The installation information is not helpful to me. My phone lines and router are in the garage. The nearest outlet is more than 50 feet away. I went out and bought 2 50 foot phone cords and a connector to test this before I spend lots of money rewiring the house. The phone works with a direct connect to the telco but the "wall" does not work.

I bought a special tool to open up my phone box at the side of the house. No matter where I plug in, at the phone box, at a wall outlet, this thing does not work.

How do I get the ooma signal through my house wiring? I am using an unused extra line, my former fax line, since I don't want to integrate this with my land line until I know it works. Then I'll think about getting rid of the land line.

Oh I forgot, all the wiring at by house is home run. At one point we had 8 lines coming in.

Marie
#33266 by tommies
Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:43 pm
Do you mean to feed the house wiring with the dial tone from Telo? You have to connect to the Telo PHONE port.

The WALL port is for connect a working land line to your Telo so your existing number will ring through ooma and serve as a back up when ooma is down.

To test for a dial tone, connect a phone to Telo PHONE port, not WALL port.
Last edited by tommies on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#33267 by murphy
Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:43 pm
If you did not integrate a land line the wall jack on the Telo is not used for anything. Feed the house wiring from the Phone jack.
#33268 by southsound
Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:46 pm
First off, welcome to the forum. And to ooma!

The wall jack on the Telo has only one purpose - if you are going to integrate your landline, it is the place where it connects to the Telo. Otherwise, it should be left empty. The phone jack on the Telo is where you will obtain dialtone for your house. Since you have an existing landline (probably on line 1, the white/blue pair) you will need to use another unused pair (like your old defunct fax line) for running the signal to the rest of the house. I normally do not recommend integrating your landline, so you are on the right track. Test the Telo for a while and if all is well, you can port your number to the Telo (or not) and be done with your local telco and their bills.

ps - you don't need the special tool - the wiring you want to connect to is on the "customer" side of the network interface box. Probably a couple of short cords in that box that connect to jacks inside the box. The first one is for your voice line, the second for your unused second line. Just take the wires that are available that go to that plug and you will be all set. The jack is on the telco side of things - the plugs will go to little screws. Probably the white/orange pair are the ones used for your second line. Post back with questions or your results. :cool:
#33270 by okaycoral
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:03 pm
Thank you.

So do I just plug the Telo into the phone jack in my phone box for the line I want to use? I like that idea because its only 30 feet from my router (going through the door). My outside telco box is wired for 7 lines. Each has a red and green wire. I don't need to disconnet the phone company side wire that are currently inactive?

Thank you for your help.

Marie
#33271 by southsound
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:09 pm
Not quite - the jacks in the box connect up to the telco side - you want to use either the plug (and maybe a male-male) or better yet, the actual wires that connect up to that plug. Upon opening up the customer side of the interface box you will find the screws and the appropriate wires to connect to Unless you have a gel filled coupler, eventually a have a problem with moisture getting in to the connection. I always recommend using gel filled scotchloc connectors or what we call beanies. You WILL want to unplug the plug from the jack for the line you are using as that disconnects the telco and prevents backfeeding and voltage interference.
#33276 by okaycoral
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:23 pm
So a female to female adapter would not work? It doesn't. My husband said it would. We know just enough to be dangerous. There are four wires I can see next to my fax line. Do I have to wire all four? I'm trying to figure out how the home run wiring works. I wish I could see a diagram that explained what all these wires are, where they go and what their purpose is.

Maybe I should break down and get Comcast phone. They install it. A few diagrams would help immensely. What are these gel things. Now I'm getting crabby about this.

Marie
#33464 by okaycoral
Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:35 am
The diagram does not show home run wiring. Its only for daisy chain wiring. I've spent at least 8 hours on this. I was attracted to Ooma because it would feed all my phone, but the installation instructions do not cover my wiring.

This device is going back to Costco.

Marie