Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#33566 by costanzo98031
Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:52 pm
I am still experiencing sound quality issues with my new Telo handset.

I am running the latest firmware and just preformed a reset (per a conversation with CS) to allow the handset to re-register itself to the base. After doing that, I did notice improvement; however, still experiencing poor sound quality at times.

I am assuming a future firmware update will address some of these issues. What can we do to assist in providing valued feedback?
#33574 by Groundhound
Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:13 pm
costanzo98031 wrote:I am still experiencing sound quality issues with my new Telo handset.

I am running the latest firmware and just preformed a reset (per a conversation with CS) to allow the handset to re-register itself to the base. After doing that, I did notice improvement; however, still experiencing poor sound quality at times.

I am assuming a future firmware update will address some of these issues. What can we do to assist in providing valued feedback?

For starters, more description of the problem? Inbound voice, outbound voice, both? Calls you dial, calls you receive, both? Handset only or also on wired phone connected to Telo? How is Telo connected to your network? Are you utilizing QoS settings?

With this information you may want to start a separate topic so those who assist can better help.
#33579 by costanzo98031
Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:54 pm
I am still experiencing sound quality issues with my new Telo handset.

Here's some background information:

I placed a call to the ooma's 800# call center. During that call I noticing the sound cutting in and out while on the call. I was about 25 feet from the base. When I walked closer to the base, the sound improved; however, the call still had call quality issues such as the sound fading in and out. On another call, I heard an echo and a delay of about 1 second. I hung the phone up and redialed, but had the same sound issues. I placed another call and that call dropped.

I honestly think these issues are tied to the handset because I am not seeing any quality issues from a phone plugged directly into the base. I have also tried using another handset to rule out a bad phone (I have three) and still have the same issue.

I am using QOS through a D-Link DIR-655 Router. I have used other VOIP based phones on my network with no quality issues. I have a very fast connection, 4.5MB Upstream and 20MB Downstream so I don't think there are any issues. There are no latency issues and my connection to the internet seams t be fine. I also have no radio devices in the house that would cause interference.

I am hoping that this can be cleared up with a firmware update. I am looking forward to using this product; however, at it current state, I can not use the handset
#33583 by MandrewsXL
Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:58 pm
I just bought it today and it works. I got my PIN in My Ooma, I forget where, maybe my account. One thing though, it shows as handset 2. I only have one. Any ideas?
#33585 by oldanbo
Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:15 pm
MandrewsXL wrote:I just bought it today and it works. I got my PIN in My Ooma, I forget where, maybe my account. One thing though, it shows as handset 2. I only have one. Any ideas?

You may have to perform a reset to factory defaults on both the Telo and/or handset. Rather than repeat the posts, search could be your friend.

Welcome to you, I hope you enjoy your ooma as I and many others have. :)
#33646 by Wiz_Bang
Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:38 am
Has anyone else experienced dialing a number the call actually going through and the other person can hear you but you can't hear them, or a ring indicating the call was successful? This has happened now a few times when dialing out using the Telo handset. I end up just re-dialing the number and second time it seems to work without out issue. It appears to be a sporadic problem.
#33745 by allo
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:58 pm
tesla2 wrote:PROBLEMS: RANGE, DISPLAY

For me there are two main problems with the handset. I am running the latest firmware.

1. Range is totally unsatisfactory. I live in a 4000 sq ft house with lath and plaster walls. My two line Panasonic 5.8 ghz phone works fine throughout the house and yard. When I walk around the house with the Telo handset, speech becomes intermittently garbled, even though the handset shows 2 bars of signal strength. Not so with the Panasonic.

2. The display on the Telo handset is terrible....very low contrast and very small fonts. There seems to be enough screen real-estate to make the fonts bolder/larger. Screen contrast is horrible. Is there a control for screen contrast that I have not found?

Otherwise, I'm satisfied, but I don't know if I want to risk a 30 day trial while waiting to see if these problems are addressed.

From you description it doesn't sound like it is the latest technology ... if it doesn't use rechargeable AAA batteries that makes me think it doesn't compare to a Panasonic System... and probably cheaply made.
It is too bad Ooma choose the route of the proprietary system, rather than be adaptable/adjustable to a variety of handsets with good track record already available on the market!

#33790 by jtykal
Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 am
Wiz_Bang wrote:Has anyone else experienced dialing a number the call actually going through and the other person can hear you but you can't hear them, or a ring indicating the call was successful? This has happened now a few times when dialing out using the Telo handset. I end up just re-dialing the number and second time it seems to work without out issue. It appears to be a sporadic problem.

Wiz-Bang - does this happen for all of your dialed calls, or only those to certain numbers? Ooma relies on external network partners to complete audio routing paths -- I've run across a couple of remote locations where this happens to me. I dial a number and don't hear a ringback tone or incoming audio, but the other person says they can hear me. Send the telephone number you are trying to reach to CS for further investigation.
#33813 by Wiz_Bang
Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:44 am
I am working on that now with Dennis, thanks for the post. I have noticed it with local calls and long distance, so it could be possible that its the network carrier. One of the calls was to cell phone which my buddy just recently switched providers.
#33830 by DCbeachboy
Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:00 am
I just registered my new Telo handset yesterday and charged it 20 hours before using it today for 1st time. Was VERY pleased with the call quality -- was such a relief there are no issues at all there. However, there are 2 minor issues I'm having problems resolving:

1) After checking the firmware info, I noticed the handset still has not updated to the latest version. It still shows:
PTCL14W20091012
FTCL15N20091012
Version: 30644

2) The handset oddly shows "Handset 2" on the display, even though it's the only handset I have at this point -- yes, a problem I know someone else also reported.

I performed a factory reset for the Telo, as outlined by Groundhound earlier in this thread, then re-registering the handset. I also selected the update handset software menu option. But neither made any difference with either problem. Anything else I could try? :?