Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#30861 by djnardu
Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:38 pm
So just bought a Ooma Telo and was getting ready to set it up when I came across a couple of things. I was in the search of dropping my land line and it was between Ooma and Vonage. Ooma being free but long distance will cost me, which I use to call Italy. Vonage costs money but long distance is free.

One advantage I now see is that the amount of numbers Vonage has is much more then what Ooma is offering me. I cannot find a single number in my local area. Yea it wont cost me, but I will feel like crap with all my local friends and family calling me at long distance.

Whats the chances of getting a local number and how would I go about doing it. Vonage seems a little more available right now, but Im still open and want to use Ooma.
#30872 by jazzyone
Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:50 am
If a local number isn't available from Ooma, your chances of getting a local number is slim to none. Why not get a temporary number from Ooma, then port one of you current local numbers?
#30881 by djnardu
Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:21 am
That sounds like a plan, but how do I go about the porting a local number process? According to Ooma, I checked my area and porting my number was not available.
#30882 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:29 am
Not much help anyone can offer without knowing what area code & exchange you're interested in.....
#30883 by djnardu
Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:39 am
Area is 570-828

Almost all the numbers I was given would constitute long distance calls for me. And im well aware getting an 828 number is probably a no go.

Some numbers Id be interested in would be like a 570-832 which would be the closest city Milford, PA

Or Bushkill, PA 570-431

Both are available on other Voice over IP providers.
#30889 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:26 am
No numbers in those areas at present, but it can change from day to day, you should call Ooma at 888-711-6662 to get more definitive info on number availability. Another option is to get a free Google Voice number and forward it to your Ooma number so your friends and family can reach you toll free. And of course, you can always pay Vonage $300+ every year, year after year, so your friends and family can call you free.
#30915 by djnardu
Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 am
Im interested in the the google voice option. Is there a guide or faqs on how to set it up with Ooma or can someone give me a run through?
#30924 by ajw522
Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:04 am
djnardu wrote:Im interested in the the google voice option. Is there a guide or faqs on how to set it up with Ooma or can someone give me a run through?

Alright, hopefully I can give a good detailed run through.

Getting a Google Voice number is a good option. Google Voice is a free service that allows you to have 1 phone number and have it forward to up to 3 numbers, but in your case, you would only need it to forward to your 1 ooma number (you can do your mobile phone too if you would like). To sign up, you go to google.com/voice. Currently, Google Voice is only available by invite, and you must apply to get an invite from Google. You will probably get an invite in about 1-2 weeks. After you get one, you sign up for the service and you can choose a phone number in the area code of your choosing. Once you have chosen your number in your local calling exchange, you can set it up to forward to your ooma number. You will be prompted to set up the forwarding number during the initial setup. Because Google Voice can forward to ANY number in the US, your ooma number does not even have to be in the 528 area code, you can choose a number wherever ooma will give you. After you set that up, tell callers to call your new Google Voice number. Everything should work flawlessly.

I hope this helps!
#30927 by djnardu
Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:10 am
Ok sounds like a plan just applied for an invite right now.

Only three final questions

If Ooma gets a number in my exchange is there a fee to get that new number.

Second if Im using the Google voice option, Im basically relying on Google for my phone service on top of Ooma. How reliable is Google voice?

Third any chance ill get the invite earlier then a week? lol
#30930 by ajw522
Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:15 am
djnardu wrote:Ok sounds like a plan just applied for an invite right now.

Only two final questions

If Ooma gets a number in my exchange is there a fee to get that new number.

Second if Im using the Google voice option, Im basically relying on Google for my phone service on top of Ooma. How reliable is Google voice?

If Ooma does get a number in your calling exchange, you can apply for that number for free if you are using premier (get a second number in your exchange) or you can change your primary number, though I believe it costs $11 (groundhound, correct me :D )

Now, about reliability. Google Voice doesn't provide a dial tone; you use ooma for that, so no need to worry about call quality. If you are asking will Google Voice stay in business, yes, it probably will, and it has been around for many years (and it's owned by Google!) Calls always come through no problem for me, and ooma's voice quality is 100%, so I don't think you will experience any problems getting calls.

And your third question, it's possible - it all depends on what Google wants to do!