Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#1609 by rs1990
Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:10 am
I just got my Ooma device and am trying to install and set it up today. 3 hours later and many topics read here and still no luck, so I could use some help.

Here is what I have so far...I tried setting it up a few different ways:
Cable Modem >> Router >> Ooma + Computer
Cable Modem >> Router >> Ooma >> Computer
Cable Modem >> Ooma >> Router >> Computer
Cable Modem >> Ooma >> Computer

So far, none of those work. I figured that the last one should definitely work as that is very basic. They all had the same basic issue...I can get to the internet (I am posting this with the last setup now), but the lights are showing red and I cannot get to the setup page (http://setup.ooma.com). I am seeing the following lights as red: 1,2,>,>> and of course the tab is blinking.

I have tried turning everything off and back on and that did not work either. I did read one thread that said some people needed to plug into their wall jack to do the setup (but that was only supposed to be if they were using their existing landline with it, which I did not choose), but I hope that is not true since I have no phone jack anywhere near this setup.

Any ideas? Thanks.
#1616 by joeandtricia
Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:58 am
I can get to the internet (I am posting this with the last setup now), but the lights are showing red and I cannot get to the setup page


I had this same issue and had to use the IP address of the ooma instead of the name ( this should be your gateway address in the configuration you were able to post from ).

just want to confirm the basics though - does the ooma tab ever go blue ? (activated the device yet ? - you need to do this first before plugging things in. I know this is hard and I had to resist my usual "grip it & rip it" approach :) ).

In my testing I was able to just plug the ooma into the cable modem and sit the light goes blue ( meaning active). then i plugged all the computers and wireless and other misc network devices i have in.
#1625 by rs1990
Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:42 pm
joeandtricia wrote:I had this same issue and had to use the IP address of the ooma instead of the name ( this should be your gateway address in the configuration you were able to post from ).


Will try an ipconfig to see what shows up and see if I can get to it using that. \

joeandtricia wrote:just want to confirm the basics though - does the ooma tab ever go blue ? (activated the device yet ? - you need to do this first before plugging things in. I know this is hard and I had to resist my usual "grip it & rip it" approach :) ).

In my testing I was able to just plug the ooma into the cable modem and sit the light goes blue ( meaning active). then i plugged all the computers and wireless and other misc network devices i have in.


I do not ever get the tab to go blue. I have activated it and gotten a phone number.
#1628 by joeandtricia
Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:21 pm
rs1990 wrote:I do not ever get the tab to go blue. I have activated it and gotten a phone number.


I'm thinking that's probably the core of this issue.

The default setting on the ooma was "auto" but the blue tab seemed to come on faster when I changed it to dhcp in the setup. I have comcast (which uses DHCP).

post what happens when you go to setup with the IP address.
#1636 by rs1990
Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:19 pm
I have confirmed that it does not come on even when I only connect it to the cable modem. It still just flashes red.

Will try to access the IP address now.

Also, I have Cablevision as my ISP.

Thanks so much for the help so far.
#1637 by rs1990
Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:29 pm
OK, now we seem to be getting somewhere...albeit very slowly.

I have now gotten into the device using http://172.27.35.1. Here is what I see:
Your ooma Network is Registering, please wait...
Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Registering, please wait...
Phone Line: No phone line detected, check the phone line is properly
connected.
Ooma Services
Phone Setup: We are waiting for your phone line to be configured for
the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled
Voice Mail: Enabled

This is unfortunately the same thing that a few people saw when they were told that they had to hook up to the wall phone jack in order to start using their device if I am not mistaken. I see no reason that I should need to do that and it will be quite difficult if I do need to since there is not a phone jack anywhere near this (house was built in the last 3 years with only 2 phone jacks that have never been used as I have never had phone service).

Ideas?
#1642 by wase4711
Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:28 pm
did you register as a "stand alone" setup, or are you supposed to have bonded with another line?
It sounds like its looking for the "other line"...
#1644 by rs1990
Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:41 pm
wase4711 wrote:did you register as a "stand alone" setup, or are you supposed to have bonded with another line?
It sounds like its looking for the "other line"...


I don't think that I did...I seem to remember a question about this replacing a landline, but I answered no because I have never had one. Know if there is any way to check online if that is the case or do I need to call support?
#1645 by wase4711
Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:10 pm
well, you should probably email them, and call, since it is new years eve, they may not have anyone there..

do you have a phone plugged into the phone port on the ooma, or into the wall port on the ooma, or, neither?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests