Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29850 by TimCosgrove
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:31 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

You can try:

Telo Factory Reset procedure

-Unplug unit from power for 30 seconds
-After 30 seconds connect power to Telo
-When the red ooma logo starts flashing press STOP(square) and TRASH at the same time (the logo should flash blue/red)
-hold the keys until the ooma logo turns solid red
-the box should then factory reset and reboot

OK, but my Ooma logo does not light up in any way. So, most likely, it needs returning?
#29852 by TimCosgrove
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:43 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

You can try:

Telo Factory Reset procedure

-Unplug unit from power for 30 seconds
-After 30 seconds connect power to Telo
-When the red ooma logo starts flashing press STOP(square) and TRASH at the same time (the logo should flash blue/red)
-hold the keys until the ooma logo turns solid red
-the box should then factory reset and reboot

So, which part of the install procedure went wrong? Or, are some of the Telos just failing out of the box?
#29863 by murphy
Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:41 pm
You turned off it's power while it was in the middle of an update and scrambled it's brains.
With the next one plug it in and don't touch it until all of the lights are blue for at least 1 minute.
It could be as long as an hour.
At that point push the center symbol on the top row (sun). All of the lights should go out.
Press the sun again and all of the lights should come back on.
If that works you can hook a phone to the phone jack and get a dial tone.
#29865 by TimCosgrove
Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:54 pm
murphy wrote:You turned off it's power while it was in the middle of an update and scrambled it's brains.
With the next one plug it in and don't touch it until all of the lights are blue for at least 1 minute.
It could be as long as an hour.
At that point push the center symbol on the top row (sun). All of the lights should go out.
Press the sun again and all of the lights should come back on.
If that works you can hook a phone to the phone jack and get a dial tone.

OK, if that's the case, it *really* needs to be prominently displayed in the instructions. The behavior I was getting initially was flashing blue Ooma logo. That is not described ANYWHERE in the instructions. If that's the indication that a firmware update is happening, it really needs to be very clear from the instructions that you should not power it down.

In the absence of clear instructions, one of the first things you try to fix nearly any malfunctioning device is to turn it off.

Like, seriously, they should fire their copy-writer or something, because I can't be the only person that's bricked the thing like this. And fire the engineers that decided that there would be no decent way to do a restore in the case of this sort of failure.

OK. Done being cranky. It *is* possible that I just had an inherently bad device. And regardless, my replacement is on its way.
#29870 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:18 pm
If it started flashing blue and did not do anything else you weren't connected at all. The Telo will flash red and then go dark, reboot, turn flashing red again before turning solid blue.
If you power up the Telo, with no connection to the internet and connect a pc to the HOME/NETWORK, reboot the pc to obtain an ip and go to setup.ooma.com. If you cannot get there you likely have a bad Telo.

Wayne
#29879 by TimCosgrove
Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:06 pm
WayneDsr wrote:If it started flashing blue and did not do anything else you weren't connected at all. The Telo will flash red and then go dark, reboot, turn flashing red again before turning solid blue.
If you power up the Telo, with no connection to the internet and connect a pc to the HOME/NETWORK, reboot the pc to obtain an ip and go to setup.ooma.com. If you cannot get there you likely have a bad Telo.

Wayne

This is good to know. NONE of this is in the instructions, at least that I found. Ooma is doing themselves a disservice. As I said earlier, I can't be the only person to have possibly bricked the machine by turning off the power during a firmware update that I had no clear indication was happening.
#29917 by mwarpinski
Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:53 pm
Tim,

I had the exact same problem when I attempted to set my ooma up tonight. All of the icons were solid blue at the bottom after going through the same lighting sequence as what you described. I held down the garbage and stop for 30 seconds and got multiple light changes. I did it again for 30 seconds and the whole thing reset and is now working.

Matt