Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#29788 by Xusia
Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:24 am
I think I have a cable problem, and so does Ooma. No matter what I do I can not install my hub behind my modem supplied by Time Warner back in April (it's a Motorola SB4100, I think). So I went to plan B and installed it behind my router. That set up worked fine for a little while, but now I get a flashing red tab twice a day. I'm thinking this wouldn't happen if my set up was like Ooma says it should be, so I called tech support. But after talking to them for nearly 1 1/2 hours, they said there's a firewall or something on the modem and I should call Time Warner to remove it. I'm skeptical of that diagnosis because Sun Rocket's gizmo and Packet 8's adapter had no problem connecting directly to the modem, albeit a modem issued somewhere between 2001 and 2005, but the same make and model. Now I'm right back to where I started before I called Ooma.

I did call Time Warner and had them do a modem reset from their end, that didn't work. Then I asked them if there was a firewall that's blocking Ooma and of course they said there is not. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
#29795 by Neubiee
Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:49 am
Did you try a hard reset on your OOMA?

Try this: Disconnect everything. Including the Coax cable going into your modem.

Plug them in this order:

-->Coax into the Modem and Power it up. Wait for all lights to come on.

-->Then plug your OOMA into your Cable Modem. Make sure you plug it into "INTERNET/WAN port" of OOMA.

--> Then plug the power cord into OOMA. As you do this: PRESS AND HOLD THE OOMA TAB (the little plastic tab that lights up) for 30 seconds and then let it go.

--> Give about 2-4 minutes before you try using your phone.
#29798 by dknyinva
Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:06 am
Also try connecting a PC or laptop to the home port on the Ooma and try accessing the Internet. It might be that your ooma MAC address is not registering with the modem.
#30034 by Xusia
Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:28 pm
That's a great idea Neubiee, thank you. But, since I'm so impatient I managed to solve the problem before I got to try your suggestion. I did try dknyinva's idea tho, that one didn't work. I tried just about everything.

See the weird thing is, when I connected the hub to the modem there were no lights whatsoever on the modem or the hub, NOTHING! That shouldn't happen. Fortunately I found the old modem I mentioned earlier. I powered that one up with no cable connection, then I connected the hub and low and behold, I got lights! All I had to do at that point was connect the cable, call Time Warner, and have them activate the modem (the call lasted about an hour). The hub "went blue" instantly after that. We'll see how things work for now, but I still can't understand why nothing was lit up with the "new" modem.
#30065 by murphy
Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:35 am
When you connected the hub to the "new" modem did you power cycle the modem?
That is an absolute requirement for a standard cable modem.
If it's the type of cable modem that has built-in telephone service, power cycling won't work because of the battery backup. You have to find and push the reset button on the modem.
#30084 by Xusia
Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:42 am
murphy wrote:When you connected the hub to the "new" modem did you power cycle the modem?

Yes I tried that. I believe the way I did it was .....

--> powered down everything (for at least 30 seconds)
--> hooked up everything
--> powered up modem FIRST
--> powered up Ooma

However, I never disconnected the coax like Neubiee suggested, but I did do a hard restart once while I was on the phone with Ooma. Like I said, I tried just about everything.

murphy wrote:If it's the type of cable modem that has built-in telephone service, power cycling won't work because of the battery backup. You have to find and push the reset button on the modem.

I highly doubt either modem has built-in telephone service. I'd be surprised if that type of modem existed when these modems were manufactured. As a matter of fact, I looked at the instructions for this modem and they're for Windows 98 or 2000, LOL!
#30108 by murphy
Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:55 am
Only the blue tab. All the rest are off.
#30117 by Dante R
Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:23 am
We've had tons of issues with SB4100 SB5100 and SBG900 modems not allowing our hub to connect through them for some reason.

Sometimes toggling bridge mode inside the modem helps. Sometimes cloning your PC's MAC inside ooma setup helps.

Having said that, I'm interested to find out why, when hub is behind router it goes down twice a day.

It looks like you currently have your hub behind router correct? Please PM me with the date and time stamp so I can take a look the next time it goes red.
#30213 by Xusia
Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:00 pm
Dante R wrote:When you have modem > ooma hub, what lights remain on on the hub?

With the problem modem the "1", "2", trash and envelope buttons were red.

Just to be clear, the lights that I was refering to that were out were the network and activity lights (green and amber lights) on the Ooma modem port and the Time Warner modem port.