Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#28750 by Lee
Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:19 pm
I am going to purchase a Telo when the handsets are ready in November. I am going to port my current number over to Ooma but until that's done, which device are my calls coming in and going out on (landline or internet)? If it's my landline why hook the Telo up at all until the port is finished.

Thanks,
Lee
#28752 by dtalwar
Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:32 pm
You will get a temporary phone number from Ooma until your number is ported over. You can use Telo and that temporary number to make and receive calls if you like. Remember, the long distance calls from Telo will be free.
#28793 by Lee
Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:33 am
Thanks for the quick repyly, dta. That means giving a new number to everyone i know and work with (I work out of my home) doesn't it or does my old number, when dialed by someone, just automatically switch over to the temporary ooma number? If the port just took a few days giving everyone a new number would not be so bad but from what I'm reading on the forum here it takes months and new customers would not have any way of getting the ooma number. Am I understanding this correctly?

Lee
#28800 by hpepper
Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:56 am
Well, you could use both lines. Your landline for inbound calls (until the port is complete) and Ooma for free outbound calling. You could block your caller ID for outbound calls if you don't want to confuse anyone with the temporary number.
#28826 by daet
Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:04 am
Lee wrote:If the port just took a few days giving everyone a new number would not be so bad but from what I'm reading on the forum here it takes months

Hi - hpepper has answered your questions; I just want to add that in the majority of cases, number ports have not taken months and months. For instance, my own port - from Vonage to Ooma took five business days. I suspect we mainly hear of the ports that take a long time on these forums.

DG
#28901 by Lee
Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:30 pm
Thanks, guys.

I think you're right about hearing only the unhappy stories on the forum, DG. I have found that to be true in all forums, folks posting looking for help with problems and you never hear about the majority of folks who had no problems.

Another question - I'm going with the premier service right out of the gate after my free 60 day trial. Ten bucks a month is cheap compared to the $39/month I now pay Qwest and they don't have all Ooma's services. For me, the main reason is the call blocking. I am recently getting hounded with solicitation calls and one "Toll Free" number calling for someone who is delinquent on their bills. I've told them three times I am NOT that person and to quit harassing me but next night, another call from "Toll Free." My question, many on the forum also seem to be having problems getting the call block to work. Is this another case of just the folks having problems are posting or is Ooma still getting the bugs out?

Thanks again

Lee