Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#1429 by Peter H
Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:29 pm
I currently have 2 land lines. I want to replace one with the ooma system. I installed the hub successfully and plugged the hub into the jack for line 2. In another part of the house I have a two line panasonic cordless base station. I want to connect its line 2 to a scout. When I do, the four lights on the bottom of the scout come on red. The base station still has access to the two land lines.

I took the scout to the room where I have the hub connected since I have another couple of jacks for the phone lines on an opposite wall. I brought an extra phone with me. I plugged the scout into the corresponding line 2 jack on the opposite wall and plugged the phone into scout. I still got the 4 red lights.

I took the scout and plugged it directly into the hub and the ooma tab turned blue so I am assuming this means the scout is not malfunctioning.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
#1435 by Peter H
Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:15 am
After reading some of the other posts, I figured out what the problem was. I had used the long telephone cable to connect the ooma hub to the wall jack. However, because it was close to the wall jack I had left a lot of it coiled and only used what was needed to reach the wall. I decided to try to replace it with the short telephone cable completely uncoiled. Once I did that the scout started to work as advertised.

Interesting idiosyncracy, but a great system. Thanks to the people who had posted that scout problems were related to long wiring frequently associated with coiled segments.
#1485 by Soundjudgment
Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:48 am
Though you don't mention just how long that 'coiled phone wire' really is, I am surprised it made such a difference. Typically, telephone lines carry battery to all parts of the house and can run 25' or longer from point to point. There usually isn't any real significant loss of current or signal just because you had some excess wire length, or that it is 'coiled.' My guess might be that the long wire was either old, 'good enough for analog connectivity but not for digital quality,' or plain faulty (or both) and that alone failed to carry the signal over to the Scout with sufficient signal quality. Using the shorter-length, fresher cord might have corrected all of that and indeed... the Scout is happy-happy. :)
#1488 by Peter H
Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:17 am
Actually it was the long cable that came in the ooma retail package. So I believe that it is a new cable. I hadn't uncoiled it completely just to keep from adding to the mass of wires accumulating behind the desk. It was only used between the hub and the wall outlet. The house wiring between the outlets is a much longer run.
#1493 by Soundjudgment
Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:22 pm
Well, if that was the cable-length you were referring to, there really shouldn't be any worry using it, whether coiled up or not. But even so, the good news is... the Scout be singing the Ooma song. :)
#2391 by xzhutiger
Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 pm
The Ooma scout must be connected to the WALL jack of the Ooma hub.
To send both the Phone jack and Wall jack of the hub to the wall (to use the existing home phone wiring to connect Scout in another room), one must use an adapter that merges both Line 1 and Line 2 to one jack (4 wires) and plug it into the wall. Then on the Ooma scout end, use a spliter (the same kind of adapter used to connect the hub to the wall) to split Line 1 and Line 2, with Line 2 goes to the Scout's Wall jack. The Line 1 can be used to connect to a phone directly. The Phone jack on the Scout can provide the 2nd line functions (and other Premier functions) for the phone. Note that the cable provided by Ooma has only 2 wires, so you need to buy a phone cable with 4 wires to make this connection work.
Good luck.
#2533 by Peter H
Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:08 am
Hi,

Although I have had the system working for a while, I have been thinking about what you wrote. I have two separate phone jacks in the areas for the hub and the scout. I am planning on keeping the land line (line 1) because I need to support an alarm system. The scout provides one line (line 2) to a two line cordless phone base and the landline connects to the line 1 input of the base.

You say "To send both the Phone jack and Wall jack of the hub to the wall (to use the existing home phone wiring to connect Scout in another room), one must use an adapter that merges both Line 1 and Line 2 to one jack (4 wires) and plug it into the wall. " Are you saying to connect an adapter to both the phone jack and the wall jack receptacles of the hub and then connect the adapter to the wall jack? Where does the phone that normally connects into the hub then connect? Does it connect into another wall jack and uses the home wiring to access the hub's capabilities? Does this mean that a scout is not necessary for phones connected to the home wiring?

Thanks.