Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#28078 by Alfredo
Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:45 am
Hello :) ,

Yesterday I successfully installed my Telo phone on my Comcast cable router and got it to work. However, I am not sure why I can only use my Ooma Telo plug that says " Wall" on the back of my unit. When I connect a phone to the one that says "Phone" I hear nothing and is completely dead :? I tried two phones already, one that has AC power (wireless) and a an old un-powered phone. Both work when I use the "Wall" plug but not on the "Phone" . Does anyone know if there is some configuration set-up or do I have a bad box? I was able to connect my house by using the " Wall" connection and tested and all work within the circuit but I think I should be able to use the extra "Phone" connection on my Ooma.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you :cool:

P.S
I don't have a landline, I plan to use my Ooma in it's place.
Last edited by Alfredo on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
#28091 by Alfredo
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:06 am
Groundhound wrote:Sounds like your Telo's wall and phone ports are reversed. If so this would be a defect.

Maybe you are right. I am not sure what is the purpose of one connection vs. the other then. I thought that the "Wall" connection was so that you could plug to the wall and any other phone plug in the house would be active. Then the one that says "Phone", I thought that you could basically plug your phone here just to use the line where the Ooma Telo hardware was located and be able to tap into phone line without an extra splitter in the wall.

Thanks.
#28094 by murphy
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:08 am
Alfredo wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Sounds like your Telo's wall and phone ports are reversed. If so this would be a defect.

Maybe you are right. I am not sure what is the purpose of one connection vs. the other then. I thought that the "Wall" connection was so that you could plug to the wall and any other phone plug in the house would be active. Then the one that says "Phone", I thought that you could basically plug your phone here just to use the line where the Ooma Telo hardware was located and be able to tap into phone line without an extra splitter in the wall.

Thanks.

Nope, the only use for the wall jack on the Telo is to integrate your land line with the Telo. If you didn't integrate a land line, it has no use. If you want to feed your house wiring, it is done from the phone jack.
#28099 by Alfredo
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:17 am
murphy wrote:
Alfredo wrote:

Thanks.

Nope, the only use for the wall jack on the Telo is to integrate your land line with the Telo. If you didn't integrate a land line, it has no use. If you want to feed your house wiring, it is done from the phone jack.

Thanks Murphy, sounds like I got a unit that has the connections reversed as mentioned by Groundhound above. :o I guess that I should be ok since it is working and I don't have a land line like AT&T. Begs the question about their QA to miss this! :o
#28112 by Alfredo
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:31 am
Groundhound wrote:Which of your Telo's RJ11 ports is closer to your "To Internet" port? The "phone" port should be closer.

:?: I have to check on this, I am not near my unit now. I will do tonight.
#28116 by Groundhound
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:33 am
Alfredo wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Which of your Telo's RJ11 ports is closer to your "To Internet" port? The "phone" port should be closer.

OK, this will determine if the problem is with wiring or labeling, and is important for Ooma to know.
#28124 by Alfredo
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:47 am
Groundhound wrote:
Alfredo wrote:

OK, this will determine if the problem is with wiring or labeling, and is important for Ooma to know.

Thank you, I will check and post what I find. The one thing that I noticed was maybe something inherent with this type of phone connection, I heard a little noise on the line, like a low level buzzing which I assume is bleed-over from the circuitry around this. I have tested my AC wireless landline phone on an AT&T landline from my old house and it had no noise. I hope this is normal or I have a bad unit.
Last edited by Alfredo on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#28127 by Groundhound
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:51 am
Alfredo wrote:Thank you, I will check and post what I find. The one thing that I noticed was maybe something inherit with this type of phone connection, I heard a little noise on the line, like a low level buzzing which I assume is bleed-over from the circuitry around this. I have tested my AC wireless phone on an AT&T landline from my old house and it had no noise. I hope this is normal or I have a bad unit.

As a test, try preceding the number dialed with *99pause. If the problem goes away I think a fix is in the works.