Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#27685 by jgmulligan
Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:22 pm
I'm experimenting with ooma installation. I have it installed and working, but have a question about Scout and use of other non-scout phone jacks. Currently, I have a phone connected to my Ooma hub via the "Phone" port and it works. I also have the hub connected to a wall jack via the "Wall" port and then a scout connected to another wall jack in an office with a cordless phone base connected to the Scout. All three of the cordless phone handsets work. Great so far. However, when I connect another phone to a wall jack elsewhere in the house (no Scout involved), I cannot pick up an Ooma dial tone. Why do my non-Scout wall jacks not work and is it possible to use the Scout for one location and still get an Ooma dial tone at othe phone jacks in the house?

Thanks
#27686 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:01 pm
The hub and the Scout communicate via hpna across the wires. It isn't a direct phone connection.
If you want to make all of your phone jacks "live" you must connect the PHONE port of the ooma hub to the wall jack.

If you don't have landline phone service it is a good idea to disconnect the telco from your main house wiring at the telco box usually outside. This is usually just a matter of disconnecting a phone jack in the box.
This needs to be done for 2 reasons. First, it keeps stray voltage off the house wiring and second, it prevents you from back feeding your phone to the whole neighborhood!

Wayne
#27718 by jgmulligan
Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:17 am
Thank you, Wayne. I'll check the telco connection. I've had Comcast phone up to now. Is it likely the telco connection will already have been broken?

John
#27744 by WayneDsr
Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:53 am
I doubt the telco connection is broken, the phone gets turned off at the phone company, but all wires stay connected. Always some kind of voltage present. I would look and see, just to make sure.

Wayne
#27826 by jgmulligan
Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:40 pm
Thanks again. I checked the box. It's set up for 6 lines. Only one, Line 2, was connected. Don't know why Line 2 instead of 1. John
#28391 by jgmulligan
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:16 pm
Ok, I've figured out how to connect the Hub to the house wiring. I also know how to connect the Scout and a phone or cordless set off that. Now I have a new question. Can I connect the Hub to the house wiring ("Phone" port on Hub to wall jack) while also connecting the Hub to the Scout ("Wall" port on Hub to wall jack). What I'm trying to achieve is being able to access the ooma line from any phone jack in the house while having the convenience of an answering machine setup (the Scout) in a downstairs office (the HUb and Cable Modem have to be in an upstairs location).

Could I do this with a simple phone jack splitter? Would I need a line splitter, so that the "Phone" port would be connected to Line 1 and the "Wall" port connected to Line 2?

Thanks for any help and advice

John
#28402 by murphy
Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:21 am
Connecting both ports to line 1 will work as long as there is no DSL signal on the line. Many, me included, prefer to use line 2 to connect the wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout. The phone port of the hub feeds line 1. Actually I have the hub scout connection on line 3, the hub on line 1 and the scout on line 2.