Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#26795 by jobee
Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:26 pm
Does anyone know if I can use my 2 Ooma Hubs, each of which have 2 scouts in the same house? Is the Ooma Hub/Scout smart enough to know which one to route it to? One of my scouts is a secondary Ooma number.

I am concerned that my Scouts will conflict. Would love any comments or suggestions on this configuration.
#26797 by niknak
Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:31 pm
since the scouts connect to the hubs through the wall wiring, you would need to split the wiring to match the configuration you want
example hub 1 + scout 1 + scout 2 one pair of wires
hub 2 + scout 3 + scout 4 another pair of wires
#26798 by lohertz
Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:32 pm
I the two would conflict with each other unless one hub was on a different pair of wires then the other hub. Why not just run the 4 scouts from one hub?
#26802 by jobee
Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:37 pm
Splitting wires in my house is beyond my technical ability. Will this configuration work on the same set of wires:

Hub 1 + (2) scouts (ringing the same number as Hub1)
Hub 2 + 1 scout (secondary number)

In essence only 3 numbers coming off of the 2 hubs.

niknak wrote:since the scouts connect to the hubs through the wall wiring, you would need to split the wiring to match the configuration you want
example hub 1 + scout 1 + scout 2 one pair of wires
hub 2 + scout 3 + scout 4 another pair of wires
#26805 by jobee
Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:39 pm
I would LOVE to run 4 scouts from the one hub. The problem is that Is even if I buy an additional line from Ooma for $4.95/mo, it does not allow for 2 line conference calling if someone is on that 3rd line.

lohertz wrote:I the two would conflict with each other unless one hub was on a different pair of wires then the other hub. Why not just run the 4 scouts from one hub?
#26811 by jobee
Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:50 pm
So here is what I am thinking:

Hub 1, 2 scouts
Hub 2, 0 Scouts

Will I be able to use conference calling (line 1 and 2) on Hub 2 even if someone is using Hub 1?
#26819 by doug
Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:03 pm
jobee wrote:Splitting wires in my house is beyond my technical ability.

Actually, you can probably do it without any technical ability and just a few adapters from the likes of Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc. -- that is assuming you are not using landline integration for either hub.

Most home wiring already has four wires, which is enough for two lines. Just go buy some adapters that plug into the RJ11 in the wall and provide three taps labeled L1, L2, and L1+L2. Make sure they are labeled that way instead of the adapters which are just multiple taps each with both lines on them. They shouldn't cost more than $2 each or so. You need one per wall location (even if you have two hubs or scouts there).

At your router where the hubs sit, put one hub in L1 and the other in L2. At each location where you want a scout, if only needing a scout on the first hub you do not need an adapter at all. Just plug the scout in and it will be connected to the first hub. If you only need a scout connected to hub 2, you still need the adapter but plug the scout into L2. If you need scouts on both hubs, use the adapter but plug one scout into L1 and the other into L2.

If the four scouts are at only two locations, then you need only 3 adapters so total investment is about $6 and no wiring needs to be modified at all.
#26821 by niknak
Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:03 pm
yes, you will be able to do this or any other combination of hub/scouts
the main thing is tha the wiring needs to be separated
I understand you might not be familiar with phone wiring so here are a few basics...others here will chime in (I'm sure)if I miss something

A single phone line needs 2 wires to operate..these are usually referred to as a pair...older wiring used a red/green and yellow/black pair...newer wiring may have 4 pairs (blue/white orange/white green/white brown/white)
Since each Hub is in effect a connection to a single phone line it needs a pair of wires from the phone port to a (single)phone or multiple phones in the house using the wall wiring ...even though it is powering all wall jacks in the house, it is still just running on that single pair of wires.

You can't just take another hub and plug it in since it is a separate device with a separate connection and needs its own pair of wires...that's ok because there are usually more than 1 pair in the house...here's where it gets tricky....you need to examine the wiring either in the basement where the wires come in from the phone compamy, or behind the wall plates at one of the jacks...you are looking to see if the house is wired with that 1 single pair or if there is possibly a second (maybe more) unused pair at that wall jack
Basically you need to connect the second hub (with it;s own second number) to a differt pair of wires from the first hub

this is what the other poster and I meant by splitting the wiring...you need to identify and use 2 separate pairs of wires going through the walls if you are going to use 2 separate hubs...once that is determined you can place the scouts as needed
#26844 by jobee
Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:01 pm
Thanks Doug, if your idea works it will be brilliant! I went to Home Depot and bought what they call "Duplex In-Wall Adapter". Made by GE and cost $5.67, part number 76191. It says that its 4-conductor; connects two phone devices to a single jack. It seems like the right one because the picture on the back shows a connection to both a phone and a fax machine.

doug wrote:Actually, you can probably do it without any technical ability and just a few adapters from the likes of Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc. -- that is assuming you are not using landline integration for either hub.