Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#26437 by DCbeachboy
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:17 am
I've just installed Ooma Telo using my pre-existing Vtech 2-line cordless phone system (1 base w/ handset + 3 stand-alone handsets), plugging the phone line from the Telo into the phone base's jack labeled for "Lines 1 and 2". I also set up 2 temporary phone numbers in the Premier system, until my 2 existing landline numbers are ported over from Verizon.

With my landline connection, use of this single Lines 1/2 jack automatically allows me to dial-out on either Line 1 or Line 2, depending on which button I select on any of my 4 handsets, and also to receive calls on either line using all 4 handsets. But since I just hooked-up Ooma, I noticed that Line 1 on my handsets doesn't function, only Line 2 is operable (gets a dial tone). No dial tone at all on Line 1. Also, any call made from Ooma shows up on the receiving phone with the caller ID for the 1st temporary number I registered with Ooma, with no way to call using the 2nd line I registered. (No, even pushing the 1 or 2 on the Telo doesn't do it.) :?

Now, how can I access both lines from my various handsets when either line rings, and make calls from either line? Any ideas?
Last edited by DCbeachboy on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#26441 by hpepper
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:20 am
You can only get 1 line to work on the Telo base. The second line will need to be accessed with an optional Telo handset, which will be avilable in November. (1 line that is other than call waiting.)
#26443 by jmassimilla
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:24 am
At present, the phone jack on the telo only supplies 1 line. The second line would only be available through the optional telo handset due to be released in November. This is a limitation that a number of people have commented on. Not sure on this, but I believe that the telo handsets may have 2-line capability.
#26445 by DCbeachboy
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:39 am
jmassimilla wrote:At present, the phone jack on the telo only supplies 1 line.

I'm obviously not correctly interpreting the Telo's capabilities, as explained on their Web site, if this is the case. I understood the Telo to fully support 2 lines, with the option of adding several additional "virtual" lines that would ring to the same Telo.

I understood the upcoming Telo handset to be needed only to fully access all the various "premier" features, such as voice mail, do-not-disturb, etc....not to simply make or receive calls from either Line 1 or 2. What is the use of having 2 lines, if you can only make or receive calls using 1 of the lines? Have I misread something here?
#26447 by niknak
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:46 am
...What is the use of having 2 lines, if you can only make or receive calls using 1 of the lines..

You will be able to use two independent lines once the Telo handsets are available in November
#26448 by murphy
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:49 am
If you have an active call on line 1 and a second call comes in it will come in on line 2. You can use the flash key on your phone to answer the second call and put the first call on hold. Another flash will take you back to the first call. You can also push the 1 and 2 buttons simultaneously and combine the 2 calls into a 3 party call. The instant second line (Premier) is required to do this. This can be done without having the Telo handset.
#26458 by DCbeachboy
Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:12 pm
murphy wrote:If you have an active call on line 1 and a second call comes in it will come in on line 2.

Groundhound wrote:In addition to what others have said, you can make outbound calls use the CallerID number of the second line by preceding the dialed number with **1.

Thanks, Murphy & Groundhound....good to know.
But what exactly does this mean for the 2 landlines that I have asked to be ported over to Ooma? Once they are ported in a couple weeks, it sounds as if I may be able to make OUT calls from either of my 2 ported numbers, using the prefix for 2nd line. But will I receive any INCOMING calls for both lines 1 AND 2? Or will only calls placed to 1 of the ported lines be received -- leaving callers to my 2nd ported line with no way to reach me until the Telo handset is available in several more weeks? :x
#26464 by murphy
Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:26 pm
Since both numbers will be shared, due to no handset yet, they will both ring on the Telo. If you get a call on both numbers, you can toggle back and forth between them using the flash key or push 1 and 2 at the same time and combine the two calls.
#26467 by DCbeachboy
Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:43 pm
murphy wrote:Since both numbers will be shared, due to no handset yet, they will both ring on the Telo.

Whew! What a relief. Sounds as if I should be able to continue picking-up an incoming call to either Line 1 or 2, as I do now, using any of my 4 cordless handsets. No Telo handset needed, just yet, to simply make or receive calls on both lines....right?

After the first couple of alarming replies to this thread, I panicked and quickly called Ooma to cancel my port request for the 2nd line! LOL Just as well, though. This not only will give me a chance to see if there are any problems with the porting process for the 1st line before porting my 2nd line....but also soon afterward the Telo handsets hopefully will be available.

Thanks again for clearing this up. Now, back to fine-tuning my set-up a bit....hoping this proves worth all the effort. :D