Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#26380 by sean
Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:49 am
so, my home office is in the basement. i am really the only member of my household who goes down into my office. however, i have the main internet line and the cable modem coming into my office. the main phone line is upstairs and this is where we have our phone with many satellite scout phones elsewhere. i don't have a phone line anywhere near my office since i just use a scout that plugs into the electrical outlet to charge. so, if i wanted to port my number -- i haven't decided yet, but if i wanted to port my number then would this set up pose a problem getting my Telo and ported number on the same page? TIA.

i am already a bit turned off that i have to move our fax machine from my wife's home office into my office so that i can get it connected to the Telo base. our fax machine is a giant one that is also a copy machine and all that and now this is going to take up valuable space in my office and increase the traffic. but, i could have figured this out before buying so this is on me.
#26392 by Groundhound
Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:34 am
sean wrote:so, my home office is in the basement. i am really the only member of my household who goes down into my office. however, i have the main internet line and the cable modem coming into my office. the main phone line is upstairs and this is where we have our phone with many satellite scout phones elsewhere. i don't have a phone line anywhere near my office since i just use a scout that plugs into the electrical outlet to charge. so, if i wanted to port my number -- i haven't decided yet, but if i wanted to port my number then would this set up pose a problem getting my Telo and ported number on the same page? TIA.

i am already a bit turned off that i have to move our fax machine from my wife's home office into my office so that i can get it connected to the Telo base. our fax machine is a giant one that is also a copy machine and all that and now this is going to take up valuable space in my office and increase the traffic. but, i could have figured this out before buying so this is on me.

I'm a bit confused by your setup. You mention both scouts and Telo in your post, which don't work with each other. Did you upgrade from a Hub/Scout system to a Telo?
#26399 by southsound
Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:41 am
Groundhound wrote:I'm a bit confused by your setup. You mention both scouts and Telo in your post, which don't work with each other. Did you upgrade from a Hub/Scout system to a Telo?

I think the confusion is because the OP is using the term "scout" for the handset/charger that is part of his multiple handset cordless phone.

Note to the OP - the term "scout" has a different meaning on this forum because the smaller ooma unit from the previous core ooma system is called the scout and the larger unit is called the hub. If you avoid using these terms for your cordless system you will get better advice as all will understand what you are asking. And welcome to the forum! :cool:
#26402 by sean
Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:59 am
sorry, i saw scout elsewhere and i assumed it was a generic term for satellite phones that aren't connected to a phone outlet, but still work. i guess i've been reading about Ooma stuff for about 8 months now and the term "scout" just seemed natural for what i was describing. oops.

the only Ooma product i own is a Telo. i have the handset pre-ordered, but so far i only have a Telo. my main phone is a Panasonic with a few satellite phones -- or whatever the proper term is. Sorry for this confusion.
#26403 by southsound
Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:09 am
No problem with the "scout" confusion. I just wanted to make sure you got the best advice. You mentioned that your home office is in the basement - is there any possibility you could add a phone jack in that room? I know that sometimes basements are only partially finished - or they may have access to put a new line in. If you can get a phone line there the Telo can power your entire house (including your wife's fax machine) from where it sits in your office. That will allow you to use the cordless base at any location where there is a phone jack and you will still be able to use the Telo handsets when they become available.

Phone wiring is not difficult and if you can physically run a cable from your office to the telco box on the side of your house, we can talk you through connecting it. Since you have your cable coming in there, I am hoping you can run the new wire near it. :cool:
#26411 by sean
Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:21 am
Yes, the phone comes into our house just behind my office in a storage room (star in image) and then heads up into the ceiling. The DirecTV installer did run a line from the storage room into the rec room for an HD tv that was recently installed, so I could probably grab that line to split and run to the Telo in my office (plus symbol in image). i haven't done this before but if it's something that is possible without paying someone else then i am willing to give it a try. :)

oh, i just realized you said to the Telco box . . . as long as this is something that saves me $$$ in the long run then I can follow directions well. i'll check back once i get my number ported in a few weeks.

thanks.

phone_layout.jpg
phone_layout.jpg (22.88 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
#26415 by southsound
Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:38 am
Excellent! Thank you for the layout of your basement. The cable you will need for the additional phone connection is available at any Home Depot or Lowes as are the jacks. Cost will be minimal. When your number ports give us a shot again and we can have you up and running. Glad to have you aboard!
#32537 by sean
Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:18 pm
okay, my number has ported. i have a long phone cable. i went to the AT&T box on the side of the house (it actually says SBC, but that's beside the point). i opened it and it has the cable that currently comes out and heads into my house. but the cable that comes in from the telephone wires above is in a special compartment that needs some special screwdriver to open so that's crummy.

But am i correct in thinking that i need to get inside of that special compartment to disconnect the AT&T line coming in and replace it with my new phone line? Also, i have a sinking feeling that inside of that special compartment is not going to be a simple phone jack, but that it'll be raw wires . . . and that would mean i'd have to strip my nice jacked phone cable, eh? i guess i'll deal with that when the time comes -- and maybe my assumptions thus far are wrong???
#32539 by WayneDsr
Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 pm
In my telco box there is a pigtail that comes from that side of the box and plugs into (with a phone jack) the same block my house wires are attached to. I have one for each line (had 2 lines once) and one more for another apartment. I just pulled that plug out and the telco was disconnected.

Wayne
#32540 by Aveamantium
Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:25 pm
sean wrote:okay, my number has ported. i have a long phone cable. i went to the AT&T box on the side of the house (it actually says SBC, but that's beside the point). i opened it and it has the cable that currently comes out and heads into my house. but the cable that comes in from the telephone wires above is in a special compartment that needs some special screwdriver to open so that's crummy.

But am i correct in thinking that i need to get inside of that special compartment to disconnect the AT&T line coming in and replace it with my new phone line? Also, i have a sinking feeling that inside of that special compartment is not going to be a simple phone jack, but that it'll be raw wires . . . and that would mean i'd have to strip my nice jacked phone cable, eh? i guess i'll deal with that when the time comes -- and maybe my assumptions thus far are wrong???

If it is like mine, I have a CAT5 cable that comes out of the house into a sort of punch down next to the "secret compartment". I just disconnected the CAT5 cable from the punch down (breaking the connection between my house wiring and the box) and left the phone company's wires alone.

Edit: Beat again by Wayne... :x :cool:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests