Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#26090 by fseaton
Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:19 pm
Hi... got my telo last Wednesday and except for a problem integrating the landline, I love it. However, I have one small annoyance. I could have sworn that listening to my voice mail directly on the Telo base unit used to be pretty easy to hear, but now it seems that I can't just make the volume loud enough. Pressing the volume button on the base unit takes it through all 5 levels; level 5 is very soft, level 4 can barely be heard, and the other 3 levels can't be heard at all.

Is there anything I can do to increase those volume levels?

P.S. Messages can be heard fine in my.ooma.com -- it's just the base unit volume that I would like to increase.
#26118 by hpepper
Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:36 am
fseaton wrote:Hi... got my telo last Wednesday and except for a problem integrating the landline, I love it. However, I have one small annoyance. I could have sworn that listening to my voice mail directly on the Telo base unit used to be pretty easy to hear, but now it seems that I can't just make the volume loud enough. Pressing the volume button on the base unit takes it through all 5 levels; level 5 is very soft, level 4 can barely be heard, and the other 3 levels can't be heard at all.

Is there anything I can do to increase those volume levels?

Well, there have been several comments about volume... but most are content with the loudest volume. Also, I can hear the other three level (albeit quietly) on mine, so I am wondering if you have a hardware problem... speaker problem. I suggest calling CS or PM Bobby B. or Dennis P.
#26119 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:47 am
I have never been content with the loudest volume. Listening to the voicemail lady, yes, but listening to someone that left voicemail, no. Most voices are much quieter than the voicemail lady. If you compare it to the older ooma hub, there's no comparison. It needs to be up a few notches higher.

Wayne
#26121 by hpepper
Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:53 am
WayneDsr wrote: Most voices are much quieter than the voicemail lady. If you compare it to the older ooma hub, there's no comparison. It needs to be up a few notches higher.

Wayne

I am actually fine with the voice-mails that are left on my Telo at the highest level - (I have VERY LOUD family :shock: ) ...but Wayne is definitely correct in that the Telo loudest volume is considerably less than the older Hub loudest volume.
#26124 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:00 am
A young female left a voicemail (my neice ;-) ) and she left a phone number where I could reach her. None of us here could understand the entire number because the volume could not be turned up. Had to listen to it online and it was loud and clear.

For a work-a-round, try tapping fast on the ">" play button on the Telo. If you time it right the volume will get much louder. It may cause the voicemail to pause with a little tone, but hit play again to allow it to continue at a louder volume.
Not sure if that works on all Telos but it works on mine.

Wayne
#26144 by Groundhound
Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:58 am
WayneDsr wrote:For a work-a-round, try tapping fast on the ">" play button on the Telo. If you time it right the volume will get much louder. It may cause the voicemail to pause with a little tone, but hit play again to allow it to continue at a louder volume.

Works that way on mine too.
#26317 by fseaton
Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:16 pm
Groundhound wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:For a work-a-round, try tapping fast on the ">" play button on the Telo. If you time it right the volume will get much louder. It may cause the voicemail to pause with a little tone, but hit play again to allow it to continue at a louder volume.

Works that way on mine too.

Thats worked for me, too, though they could use a better quality speaker and/or amplifier. I'm assuming that this won't be an issue once I get my telo handset.

Thanks everyone who responded to my question.
#26320 by WayneDsr
Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:39 pm
I think ooma eventually may increase the volume with a firmware upgrade. Occasionally the ooma hubs and Telos get an automatic update during the night. Someday it may suddenly become louder.

Wayne
#29212 by Stackowax
Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:40 pm
FWIW, I have the same problem on my Telo--the loudest volume setting is barely audible and then only if you hold your ear up to the Telo. With the old Ooma Hub I could easily hear messages from ten or fifteen feet away, which is how any answering machine should work. The speaker on the Telo also crackles and breaks up during playback, even at very low volumes, which may suggest a loose connection to the speaker. Messages are easy to hear when played back on-line, so the problem is clearly with the Telo. Customer service was totally unhelpful with this. I'll try the work around.

Given this problem, it is interesting to note that Ooma believed that since most people had an answering machine at home already, they wouldn't care that much if an answering machine wasn't included in the non-Premier package.* This makes me wonder if they didn't put that much effort into the answering machine in the Telo.

*From the blog: "When laying out features that non-Premier customers would receive, we examined whether or not to include voicemail. The vast majority of phone systems sold over the last 3 years included an answering machine built into the base station. It seemed logical that we could remove the online voice mail option since most phone systems used in homes today included an answering machine."
#50317 by RodneyKoch
Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:44 am
I have the same problem. At the highest volume level, the volume on the Telo is too soft. I experience the same thing with the new handset. This is in comparison with the voice mail and handset on my old "wired" phone. My wife hates this and wants me to go back to the old wired phone. :cry: