Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#24768 by huntrm
Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:03 pm
Just got my number ported from Vonage - took about two weeks. Was impressed on the communication on this, the timeframe estimated, and then the actual day. Having never done this, didn't know what to expect. Think our number was 'out for 4-8 hours today while the porting took place, now everything is back in place with Ooma.

So far the setup, configuration of the hub/scout is working great. Even added my second phone number.

Only key ask is that the second phone number is still showing Ooma, Inc. as the caller ID name. I've made the change online, but it hasn't changed yet in the system. Was told via email from support that this can take up to three weeks - even though the online said it will take effect up to 3 minutes.

Nevertheless, glad to have this working - really went well in the setup and porting. Now to cancel Vonage in few days! :cool:
Last edited by huntrm on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#24776 by hpepper
Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:31 pm
huntrm wrote:Now to cancel Vonage in few days! :cool:

THAT is the fun part. I have read from several posters in these forums that Vonage has scripting ready to tell you how staying with them is better and/or cheaper - then when they ask how much you are paying monthly for the new service, they are usually dead quiet on the other end... No come-back script for $0/month!
#24777 by Big Boy Laroux
Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:36 pm
Nice, my port is actually taking place today (also from vonage). Was wondering how long my original number would be out of commission. Good to hear it only took yours a few hours.

I've also read some problems with Vonage not removing your number from their database. So then when anyone who uses vonage tries to call you, they get a "number not in service" message. So you have to be specific that you are canceling, AND you want your number removed from their database.
#24801 by huntrm
Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:34 pm
Big Boy Laroux wrote:Nice, my port is actually taking place today (also from vonage). Was wondering how long my original number would be out of commission. Good to hear it only took yours a few hours.

I've also read some problems with Vonage not removing your number from their database. So then when anyone who uses vonage tries to call you, they get a "number not in service" message. So you have to be specific that you are canceling, AND you want your number removed from their database.

Wow, now that's a good tip. Tell them to a) cancel the service and b) please remove the number from their database. This reminds me of the time where my father TRIED to move from bellsouth to vonage. It didn't work out for whatever reason (can't recall why). He then went back to Bellsouth, and each time I tried to call him from my Vonage phone, I couldn't get through. Finally, I reported his number to Vonage and they fixed it.

UPDATE: While typing this, I got a CANCELLATION email from Vonage. Appears that with the porting, I also got my service cancelled. Is this true? If so, that's awesome! I'm going to log-in to my account and verify this. This means not having to talk to "save" reps at Vonage.
#24808 by Big Boy Laroux
Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:42 pm
Just wanted to add that my port was just completed about 10 minutes ago. So it took about 8.5 hours to port (maybe more, i was only aware of the number being down starting at 8 AM). But as long as it finished same day, i would be happy. so i'm happy.

I'm hoping to get an email from Vonage, too! That would be great. but i would also still call vonage directly. I wouldn't put it past them to keep charging you.
#24809 by Aveamantium
Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:47 pm
Definitely call them... Most VoIP providers don't actually host your number (Vonage may be different?) and use CLECs. Consequently, many VoIP companies don't even know that you've ported out since this takes place outside of their offices. It may also be written in the TOS that you need to cancel via a call to CS or via a trouble ticket.
#24813 by huntrm
Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:10 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Definitely call them... Most VoIP providers don't actually host your number (Vonage may be different?) and use CLECs. Consequently, many VoIP companies don't even know that you've ported out since this takes place outside of their offices. It may also be written in the TOS that you need to cancel via a call to CS or via a trouble ticket.

I logged into my Vonage online account, and it shows as DISCONNECTED. I think I'm okay here. For the record, here was the email that I received (yes, I was a 5-year customer with them!):

Account Number: 1xxx2xxxxxx
Account Creation Date: May, 20, 2004
Cancellation Date: Oct, 07, 2009

Dear x x,

We are sorry to lose you as a Vonage customer and have cancelled your account, as requested.

IMPORTANT:
Your Vonage account number xx has been deactivated. You will still have access to your Vonage call and billing history via your Online Account for up to 90 days after this cancellation. The account will not be active. But, you can still view your account information.

Thank you for your business and we hope to welcome you back as a Vonage customer in the near future. Vonage is continuously making improvements and enhancements to our service - such as new innovative features and expanded coverage areas.

SAVING MONEY EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT A VONAGE CUSTOMER
And remember, you can still call your friends and family who are Vonage customers by using V-Access. V-Access enables you to make calls to any Vonage phone number or 800 number, without paying for long distance or international fees.* Currently available in Canada, France, Italy, Mexico, Spain, the UK and US. For a list of V-Access numbers, just visit http://www.vonage.com.

This email was sent from a mailbox that does not accept replies. To send us an email, please visit our Contact Us page.

If you should require a change in your phone service in the future, or your needs change, please consider Vonage and visit us at http://www.vonage.com or contact Customer Care at 1-VONAGE-HELP (1-866-243-4357).

Sincerely,
Vonage Customer Care

*Local calling area varies by provider and calling plan chosen. Please check with your local telephone company to see if charges for calls to your closest V-Access number apply.
#24838 by jmassimilla
Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 pm
huntrm wrote:
Nevertheless, glad to have this working - really went well in the setup and porting. Now to cancel Vonage in few days! :cool:

I also ported my number from Vonage. When the port was completed, my vonage account was automatically cancelled. They tried to call me a few days later but no one was home.
#24857 by huntrm
Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 pm
Gotta love it. Evening email from Ooma after the port. BTW, I didn't even have to reboot the hub.

Dear ooma Customer,

Thank you for placing your order with ooma, your porting request has been completed. Please reboot your ooma hub so your account will be updated with this number. You may also contact your local carrier to cancel your account with them.

Have any questions? Feel free to contact our Customer Support team by logging into the ooma lounge at https://www.ooma.com/lounge/login.php, or by calling our support line at 888-711-6662.

We thank you, again, for joining our mission to liberate customers from huge monthly phone bills! Remember, with ooma, you own it.