Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#24151 by feartheturtle
Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 am
Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but here is what I would like to attempt.

We have cable internet provided by Comcast. Setup is modem - > hub - > router. Our house wiring is isolated from the outside world. The scout communicates with the hub over line 2 of the house wiring. Things seem to work well for the moment. I have a few issues with the new ooma website, but who doesn't right now?

We have had our number recently ported, and we still have the temporary phone number listed in our account. Currently we use the scout as a remote answering machine. The hub is in the far room of the house, and it provides dial tone to all the jacks in the house (over line 1). We have a 2-line phone not far from the scout. I would like to designate the scout as our second line and have it "ring" on line 2. I have a few questions.

1) If we assign the scout as our second number will we lose the ability to retrieve messages with it for our primary number?
2) Will the scout only "ring" when a call comes in on the second number?
3) And will the hub only "ring" on our primary number?
4) When using the scout for outbound calls, what number will be displayed in caller ID? Could we assign it to display our primary number?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
#24152 by murphy
Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:14 am
1) If we assign the scout as our second number will we lose the ability to retrieve messages with it for our primary number?
Yes, but you could add a second shared scout to handle that.
Yes
Yes
4) When using the scout for outbound calls, what number will be displayed in caller ID? Could we assign it to display our primary number?
By default it will be the number assigned to the scout. If you dial **0 before the number it will use your primary number.
#24154 by Groundhound
Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 am
murphy wrote:1) If we assign the scout as our second number will we lose the ability to retrieve messages with it for our primary number?
Yes, but you could add a second shared scout to handle that.
Yes
Yes
By default it will be the number assigned to the scout. If you dial **0 before the number it will use your primary number.

To murphy's comments for No. 2 and 3, I would add that the other number will still flash on the Ooma device and can still be answered.
#24172 by focuspuller
Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:43 am
Yes
Yes

THE ANSWER FOR NOW IS NO!!!!!

Nothing can be setup until the site has the BUGS FIXED.

I had the same setup working until the site changed on October 1st....NOW NOTHING CAN BE DONE!!!
#24183 by feartheturtle
Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18 am
OK - thanks for the answers - and the last bit of advice from focuspuller! I will definitely not tempt fate at the moment, as the setup we have now seems to fill our current needs/requirements.

However, I am quite troubled by the mess that seems to have been unleashed on everyone over the last several days. I can only hope that 6 months down the road this seems like a trivial matter. Right now I have a very uncomfortable feeling about middle management at ooma. I have to believe upper management would have put a stop to this if they knew how things would turn out!
#24733 by aquastarz
Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:30 am
Well, these guys aren't big like Apple, but it's no excuse to have big bugs like these roaming around.

My only hope is that their 18Million goes to scaling up their my.ooma services and steady coders who can stay on top of these bugs!!!!
#24742 by southsound
Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:55 am
feartheturtle wrote:Right now I have a very uncomfortable feeling about middle management at ooma. I have to believe upper management would have put a stop to this if they knew how things would turn out!

I know it sounds a bit like a Dilbert episode but I think that the real problems probably originated from the financial guys demanding certain levels of profitability with senior marketing making some hasty decisions trying to accomplish that.

My heart and imense grattitude go out to people like Dennis P and Bobby B who have been scrambling to make things right in the middle of a major roll-out. I think we have these two awesome people to thank for the bits of clarity we have seen and sincerely hope they will be given the latitude to make some good decisions that will help the company succeed long term and keep users happy. Of course, these two go hand in hand. If a company makes lots of money per unit and has no customers due to poor customer satisfaction, it will not succeed. JMHO. I've been out of marketing for about 20 years but that is how it worked back then. :cool:
#25125 by byoung210
Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:56 am
focuspuller wrote:
Yes
Yes

THE ANSWER FOR NOW IS NO!!!!!

Nothing can be setup until the site has the BUGS FIXED.

I had the same setup working until the site changed on October 1st....NOW NOTHING CAN BE DONE!!!

This answers my question as to why when I call from my second line on a Scout that I assigned a specific number to displays the caller ID as my main number, rather than the one assigned to the Scout. Hopefully they get this straightened out.
#25575 by byoung210
Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:55 pm
So has this bug been fixed yet? My second Ooma line continues to show my primary phone number on Caller ID and I cannot dial in to the second Ooma line (when I do it just says the party is not available and asks me to leave a message). If I call support, can they straighten this out for me? Or do I just have to wait until they fix the glitch?
#25627 by southsound
Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:27 pm
byoung210 wrote:So has this bug been fixed yet? My second Ooma line continues to show my primary phone number on Caller ID and I cannot dial in to the second Ooma line (when I do it just says the party is not available and asks me to leave a message). If I call support, can they straighten this out for me? Or do I just have to wait until they fix the glitch?

Are you trying to call your second line from your first line? This does not work with ooma and is not an indication that your second line does not work. Also, if you are trying to call out on your second number by pressing the line 2 button, this will not show your second number. If calling from the hub you need to dial **1 to have the second number caller id show.