Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#24035 by Lee
Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:13 pm
I am waiting for all the Telo equipment to be available (Telo base and Telo DECT handsets) before I purchase. I was looking at the online setup material and one of the options is this configuration: Router - Ooma - Modem and it says "recommended." I realize it will work without a router but when it says "recommended" should I get one to improve my service? I was looking at the D-Link DIR 655 which has QoS.

Thanks in advance

Lee
Last edited by Lee on Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#24037 by niknak
Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:16 pm
...I realize it will work without a modem..

The setup is referencing your WAN modem - you have to have one - either a cable modem or DSL modem
(some modems are built in to the router) but this is necessary otherwise you would not have internet service
#24038 by Groundhound
Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:36 pm
The router is the optional part. If you don't already have one you don't need one to make Ooma work, the Ooma Telo will provide its own QoS and firewall. If you're planning to set up a more complex network beyond a single PC attached behind the Telo, you may or may not need a router depending on the layout and complexity of your network.
#24049 by Lee
Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:45 pm
Thanks for the input, guys. I just reread my post and I said modem when I meant router. Sorry. I need to proof read BEFORE submiting, don't I? ;)