Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#23836 by creynoso
Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:30 pm
I just activated my ooma and selected use a temporary number until my number is ported. If I have decided to NOT port my number, can I keep the temporary number and just cancel my current service??
#23839 by niknak
Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:56 pm
yes, as long as you did not provision ooma to work with your existing landline
if you did, you could still do it, but you'd have to call ooms CS to reprovision the hub to work stand-alone
#23842 by southsound
Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:06 pm
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forums! You will find a lot of great folks on the forum who can help with almost any issue or question. The only thing you will miss is the high phone bills you used to pay.

Secondly, if you decide not to keep (port) your old phone number that means you will have to give a new number to everyone who might be calling. This is a perfect opportunity to add Google Voice to the mix. I use GV as a frone end to my ooma systems. That means people only have to call one number no matter where I am. GV rings my cell and ooma phones and if I'm not there or choose not to take the call, their voicemail even does a transcription of the message and emails it to me. All for free. Getting a GV number required going online and requesting an invitation and waiting until it arrives, but it doesn't take long anymore. Sometime later this year we expect ooma to roll out Google Voice Extensions that will create a seemless connection between the two and give some great additional features. :cool: