Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#23203 by wasiftoor
Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:45 am
Which ports will be used by the Ooma system? does it utilize standard sip ports like 5060?
#23262 by hpepper
Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:13 am
wasiftoor wrote:Which ports will be used by the Ooma system? does it utilize standard sip ports like 5060?

Don't know if this applies to the Telo, but this is from their knowledgebase in August, 2009:

Service Ports

ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.

This port information can be useful if you have a special network configuration with a firewall device upstream of the ooma Hub that restricts application ports on the inside or "private side" of your network for outbound traffic. Firewalls are typically on by default for inbound traffic and no special modifications are required to allow that traffic through.

If you are installing the ooma Hub for the first time and find the line 1 and line 2 buttons are illuminated, you may have a firewall on your router or modem preventing certain ooma traffic from going through as shown in the example diagram below:

To verify you are running into this problem, connect a computer to the "HOME" port of the ooma Hub. Using this computer, verify you can reach http://setup.ooma.com in a web browser. Next, try browsing to a public website (such as http://www.google.com or http://www.yahoo.com). If the web connection to the public website is successful, you may have a firewall blocking ooma's service ports and will need to configure firewall policies to allow ooma's data and voice ports. For more information on configuring firewall policies, please refer to your modem/router user manual.

Encryption

All service traffic (including voice traffic) to and from ooma's central servers is securely encrypted. Note for ooma systems used with landlines: local calls are typically forwarded through your existing landline connection.
#23269 by wasiftoor
Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:37 am
Thank you for the information. If this is true than that means the ooma DOES NOT use standard sip ports, meaning i can get the system :D . Can anybody else confirm this please? i dont want to purchase the system only to find out that i doesnt work for me. I'm planning to ship it overseas.
#23331 by gregg098
Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:35 am
The system uses a secure VPN connection to Ooma's servers through port 1194. I believe it also uses 53, 80, and 443 for other actions, but most information is passed through the VPN.

Correct me if Im wrong.
#23636 by wasiftoor
Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:29 pm
Well that is the most comprehensive reply uptil now. More than enough for me to get the system. Anyone else want to contribute here? More information never hurts.
#23712 by gregg098
Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:19 am
Attached is a capture of all ooma connections while I was on a call. I took this from my router with Tomato firmware and the Ooma mac address set for highest. 192.168.5.19 is the Hub.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
ooma.png
ooma.png (6.7 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
#24281 by mr_clean
Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:39 pm
Are the ones you listed just outgoing ports? What are the incoming ports?
#24370 by wasiftoor
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:10 pm
Gregg,

Thank you very much for the info. This will go a long way forward in my decision. Offcourse i want to know about Mr_clean's question as well.

Also is the new Telos device avaialble if i get a new account or do i have to go with the old device?

Is the new device well tested or is it better to go with the HUB at this stage?

Regards,

Wasif
#24536 by mr_clean
Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:05 pm
I just answered my own question, when I configured my firewall last night. I created new ports (listed above) and set them all up for outgoing FW rules. Incoming FW rule to my device is blocked. I have a Netscreen Firewall (if anyone wants to know).
#24549 by niknak
Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:43 pm
thanks for the update...glad to hear its working