Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#22411 by eyekutr
Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:57 pm
Hello everyone
today was the day I ditched my old VOIP forever. I was with phone power and they had sent me a VOIP router by linksys. It basically is a router that has 2 ethernet outs I think (maybe 3) and voip outputs. Anyhow, my house is long and wireless router on one side does not work well so I had 2 wireless routers connected to the phonepower router. That router has to go back so I picked upa inksys befsr41 ver 2 wired router. When I connect this in between the ooma and the 2 wireless wouters, I cant connect to the net, any suggestions?
#24293 by tommies
Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:39 pm
Can you connect to the ooma web interface: http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1
In the Network page change the MODEM Port MAC Address to use its build in MAC, and then power cycle the whole things. Starting with the modem and follow the connection chain.
#24296 by Groundhound
Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:57 pm
eyekutr wrote:Hello everyone
today was the day I ditched my old VOIP forever. I was with phone power and they had sent me a VOIP router by linksys. It basically is a router that has 2 ethernet outs I think (maybe 3) and voip outputs. Anyhow, my house is long and wireless router on one side does not work well so I had 2 wireless routers connected to the phonepower router. That router has to go back so I picked upa inksys befsr41 ver 2 wired router. When I connect this in between the ooma and the 2 wireless wouters, I cant connect to the net, any suggestions?

I don't think you needed the additional wired router between ooma and the 2 wireless routers, because ooma is a wired router (albeit with only one port). A network switch would have sufficed in this case with less complexity and expense.
#24332 by eyekutr
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:33 pm
Thank you for the link, I actually purcahsed a wired router, can I use that instead of a switch. I tried the suggestion up top and logged into ooma but I am not sure what exactly I need to change.
#24334 by niknak
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:36 pm
yes, you can use the wired router as a switch, you just will not use the WAN port
#24336 by niknak
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:43 pm
.. I tried the suggestion up top and logged into ooma but I am not sure what exactly I need to change...

the setup will list all the available settings the user can modify
on the Network tab change the line that says "use MAC Address - Automatic" to "use MAC Address Built In"
(not sure of the exact wording but that's the setting to look for)
#24347 by eyekutr
Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:38 pm
niknak wrote:
.. I tried the suggestion up top and logged into ooma but I am not sure what exactly I need to change...

the setup will list all the available settings the user can modify
on the Network tab change the line that says "use MAC Address - Automatic" to "use MAC Address Built In"
(not sure of the exact wording but that's the setting to look for)

Ok, I did that ...the numbers were the same, but either way, it is now set to Built-In....can I now simply plug in the router ? the output from ooma will now go to the wired router - but not WAN ?