Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#20914 by southsound
Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:07 am
OomaZooma and tao,

Nice suggestions - but I don't think either of you even read the OP's request!

THE OP ALREADY IS USING A DECT 6.0 PHONE SYSTEM THAT WORKS WELL - AND YES, I AM SHOUTING!!

njbucsfan wrote: Right now, I have a cable modem hooked into the Ooma hub and the Ooma hub connected to a DECT 6.0 phone system. The cordless phones throughout the house all work fine.

What the OP wants to do is use his scout on a different floor because it is a great way to pick up voicemail. He doesn't need a voice connection up there because he already has a multi-handset cordless that is working well. The scout communicates to the hub using a networking protocol called HPNA. It does NOT need a voice path - only the HPNA path. That is why I suggested a new cable run. His old quad wiring may not be near enough or high enough quality to support this signal.
#20917 by tao
Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:39 am
southsound wrote:OomaZooma and tao,

Nice suggestions - but I don't think either of you even read the OP's request!

THE OP ALREADY IS USING A DECT 6.0 PHONE SYSTEM THAT WORKS WELL - AND YES, I AM SHOUTING!!

njbucsfan wrote: Right now, I have a cable modem hooked into the Ooma hub and the Ooma hub connected to a DECT 6.0 phone system. The cordless phones throughout the house all work fine.

What the OP wants to do is use his scout on a different floor because it is a great way to pick up voicemail. He doesn't need a voice connection up there because he already has a multi-handset cordless that is working well. The scout communicates to the hub using a networking protocol called HPNA. It does NOT need a voice path - only the HPNA path. That is why I suggested a new cable run. His old quad wiring may not be near enough or high enough quality to support this signal.

My understanding is that he wants to hook up the Scout to an answering machine... If all he wanted is to pick up voice mail; then he can use one of the Dect. phones for that; can't he?
From what I read in the forums I gather that the scout has its limitations!

May be his DECT. 6 system DOES NOT include an answering machine!
If it does I don't think you can have 2 working on the same ooma hub ( other than ooma VM and 1 answering machine!)!

"I live in an old house with very few phone jacks and I'm trying to set up my Ooma Scout as an answering machine on the ground level of our home."
#20934 by niknak
Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:02 pm
I recall reading these posts that some folks were able to use a one line splitter at the hub. you run telephone cable from wall port and phone port on hub the the 2 jacks on the splitter, and run one cable from the splitter to your house distribution, then if you plug the scout into any wall outlet, it will function as answering machine remote from hub