Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16973 by ulbhpy
Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:16 am
I have Verizon dry loop DSL (Starter Plan: Download up to 1 Mbps / Upload up to 384 Kbps). My integreted router is Westell 7500.

With my laptop directly connected via ethernet to 7500 router and no ooma connected I get 1.15Mbps downlink and 0.4Mbps uplink. For all the 8 devices (computers, Ipod touch, PSP and wireless printer) there was never an issue with downlink speed (web pages and downloads) before ooma setup.

My ooma is now setup behind the router as instructed and Ooma Home port is connected to a laptop via ethernet cable & other devices directly to router via WiFi (naturally before ooma hub). I also have a scout setup. I have NO voice issues, but with ooma connected the downlink speed seems to drop by about 750kbps. When I run speedtest I get around 76ms latency, 0.3 Mbps downlink and 0.35 Mbps uplink. The QOS settings are standard 384kbps uplink, 0 downlink and 136kbps reserved for voice.

1. Can someone educate me why OOMA results in 750kbps drop in download speed (as shown by both router and speedtest)? Is Ooma reserving and managing this much downlink bandwidth? If so why is download speed still poor on laptop connected behind Ooma Home port.

2. What can I do to make it better without subscribing to 3 Mbps DSL at $10 additonal cost? The reason we got ooma was to preserve a home number (for occasional use) since all household members have cell phones and hoped to do it without monthly additional cost.

Thanks in advance. If already a solution or thread exists I could not find it.

ulbhpy
#17001 by ulbhpy
Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:45 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Can you give me better details?
Do you have ooma hooked up like this:
modem-->ooma-->router
OR
modem-->router-->ooma

Neither: Westell 7500 is a modem/router combo unit: modem/router-->ooma

Do you have your scout connected?
Yes. I am also in the free 60 day trial of ooma premier.

Wayne
#17003 by WayneDsr
Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:54 pm
If you are using the Scout remotely (in another room) disconnect the cable from ooma's WALL port to the wall jack so that the Scout is not connected.

Just using the ooma's hub try the connection again. You could be experiencing a dsl/hpna conflict using the wall jack.

Wayne
#17008 by ulbhpy
Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:56 pm
Thank you WayneDsr! Yes. Disconnecting the wall phone wire & rebooting router and ooma is now showing Speed(Down/Up): 1184 Kbps / 448 Kbps.

I will search on how to reduce/elimate the problem and use the scout again as it is needed for our dish network. If you have any tips, instructions or links I certainly appreciate your input.

Thanks again.
#17020 by WayneDsr
Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:35 pm
The basic idea is to use your line 2 wiring in the house to run the scout.
Make sure you have a line 2 connected in both phone jacks. One way is to get a 2 line splitter on each jack and connect the WALL port on the hub to line 2 of the adapter and the WALL port on the scout to line 2 of the second adapter.

If you search the forum there are many other ways to do it. Just pick the easiest. The goal is to remove the dsl signal from your connection.

Wayne
#17179 by ulbhpy
Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:18 pm
Thanks WayneDsr for the tips. I am writing so that my experience may help others.

I searched for 2 line splitter (be careful to choose one that splits 2 lines into L1 & L2 jacks. Buy.com has for $3.64 each with free shipping. I went to Radioshack and it was $9.99 each. Walmart and Officemax have it for about $6 each. I went to Fry's just to see their selection and they had them in bulk bags for $1.69 each. Sweet. I needed two (one scout), for each additional scout you need one more of these splitters.

I assumed my jacks were wired for 2 lines and connected the wall port of hub & scout to line 2 and it did not work. Turned out that Lennar did not want to spent the extra minute it would have taken to wire line 2 to jacks. Moving furniture was the biggest pain, plus on Leviton the wires kept popping out of connector (inverted v contact). So I just used some hot glue to keep them in place. The jack where scout plugged in had 3 Cat5 connected to line 1 (May be that it is the entry point into house). It took about 2+ hours. But now everything is working. My router shows Speed(Down/Up) 1184 Kbps / 448 Kbps. I am glad I could keep a free home line with no additional DSL cost and have it hooked up to Dish receiver as well.

Still waiting for port from at&t. I had to switch DSL from at&t to verizon as only they could give me dry loop (we live in verizon area). When all settles down my monthly bill will go down from $60 to $20 with about $300 initial investment which means payback is about 8 months.

Ooma works great, but wish they had details of basic Scout HPNA and DSL setup to avoid interference atleast on the web site. Thanks to these forums and to all who actively answer all questions.
#17187 by oomg
Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:05 pm
ulbhpy wrote:Thanks WayneDsr for the tips. I am writing so that my experience may help others.

Still waiting for port from at&t. I had to switch DSL from at&t to verizon as only they could give me dry loop (we live in verizon area). When all settles down my monthly bill will go down from $60 to $20 with about $300 initial investment which means payback is about 8 months.

Ooma works great, but wish they had details of basic Scout HPNA and DSL setup to avoid interference atleast on the web site. Thanks to these forums and to all who actively answer all questions.

Although not necessarily a good sign, mine paid for itself in less than three months even after factoring in the cost of Premier which I opted into two-to-three days after initial set up.

Anyhow, got to love that WayneDSR as well as all the other really intelligent people who help us out. By the way Wayne, I have always wondered what the "DSR" meant. Could it be Distant Service Rep? Dogonegood Service Rep? ???

I think we should lobby for a FEPAS section on the forum (Frequently Encountered Problems and Solutions). Sort of like a trouble shooting guide to help with the more common problems (e.g. light on mailbox won't go off, or all calls go to VM even though light is out, etc., etc.).
#17195 by murphy
Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:20 am
oomg wrote:By the way Wayne, I have always wondered what the "DSR" meant.

My guess would be Wayne Dxxxxx Senior.
#17239 by scottlindner
Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:40 pm
murphy wrote:
oomg wrote:By the way Wayne, I have always wondered what the "DSR" meant.

My guess would be Wayne Dxxxxx Senior.

I happen to know what it means, but out of respect for Wayne's privacy I won't say unless he offers it up himself. I will tell you, that isn't it.

Cheers,
Scott