Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16589 by StevenJohn
Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:35 am
Last night we had one of those crazy nights here at the end of the utility lines, where the power kept going off, back on and then off again. I think this happened about a dozen times from about midnight till daylight. Even though I have the modem and Ooma on a UPS, the cable company does not, so Ooma and the Internet goes down every time the power goes off. When the power came back on, the cable modem would connect, but the Ooma would not. I had to unplug the hub, power cycle the modem, then plug the hub back in to get blue light. Power was on the modem and hub the whole time because of the UPS. The modem lost the Internet because the cable signal died when the power failed.

I have the setup Modem>Ooma>Router now. I used to have Modem>Router>Ooma and to the best of my recollection, when we had a power failure the system would come back up without any intervention. If that is the case, I will go back to that configuration, even though I like the way the hub only has QoS when the phone is in use.

Has anyone here tested this? I may have been lucky the other times when Ooma came back up by itself. Will Ooma not reconnect if it is connected directly to the modem when the Internet comes back on? Maybe I should replace the UPS with a good surge protector, since the Internet goes off anyway?

sj
#16590 by dtalwar
Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:39 am
My configuration is Modem -> Router -> Ooma. I have had internet outages a few times (simulated and otherwise) and I have had Ooma reconnect on its own every time.
#16640 by tommies
Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:14 pm
I have modem>router>ooma+pc's, and the whole thing is on ups. My isp is ATT DSL.

It happen twice last week: during the night (app. midnight to 4AM) the ooma tab blinking red, and I don't know if the internet is down or up. I have to power cycle the whole thing to get ooma tab back to blue.
#16642 by murphy
Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:47 pm
If the UPS stayed on for the duration of the outage, you shouldn't have lost the hub connection. Any chance that you accidentally plugged one of those items into an UPS outlet that is for surge suppression only?
#16746 by StevenJohn
Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 am
I did a test today. I unscrewed the cable from the modem to simulate a cable outage. Within about 3 minutes the Ooma tab blinked red. I then reconnected the cable, the cable modem went back online, but no blue after several minutes. I power cycled the Ooma and still no blue. I removed power from both modem and hub, power cycle modem, then hub, got blue. Later I will try putting modem and Ooma on non-backup power outlets on the UPS. My cable company does not provide power backup, so all I need is good surge protection.

My goal here is to get Ooma to come back on by itself in the event of a power failure. We rarely have cable outages when the power is still on. But the power goes off here much too frequently.

It's granddaughter's birthday, so I'll try other tests later.

sj