Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16001 by dldugan
Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:05 am
After a few days use I elected to port my number and signed up for premier service. My landline phone set does not work when conneted to the ooma hub except when the ooma number is called, but another handset connected into the house wiring does ring when the existing landline number is called even though the ooma hub is also connected to the house wiring.

I want to keep my existing landline phone working until the port.
How do I get a seamless transfer of my existing landline number after the port? Will the ported number automatically go to the ooma hub? If yes, what happens to the present ooma number, which I am not inerested in keeping?
#16003 by murphy
Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:29 am
Do you have the wall jack of the ooma hub connected to the POTS phone line at the wall?

Did you select land line integration when you registered the hub?
#16004 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:34 am
I'm going to ASSUME (I know...) that you registered your ooma hub to work without a landline, in other words, ooma and your landline are separate and you have a temporary ooma number.

If so, your landline will only work in a wall jack not connected to ooma. You will have 2 seperate phone lines until the port.

I did it this way and to date I still do. The phone company made me a deal so that I could keep my DSL and phone for the price of just DSL.

Now if you registered ooma to work WITH your landline (Provisioning) your landline would ring in on ooma and your landline number would be your ooma number. However you would have to add call forward on busy and caller ID to your landline for it all to work. Some of the Premier features do not work in this case, one being Blacklist/call block.

Wayne
#16005 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:45 am
WayneDsr wrote:Some of the Premier features do not work in this case, one being Blacklist/call block.

For the OP, it sounds like some of these limitations with landlines configured the way Wayne described will eventually work with all of the Premier features, just not yet.

Scott
#16022 by dldugan
Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:08 am
I did register without landline, so I cannot connect the ooma hub as the landline will not ring. What I need to find out is at the time the number is ported and the existing landline number will no longer ring through Verizon, do I need to do anything other than connect the ooma hub to the house wiring? Will the hub then pickup the number with no additional configuration from ooma? I will most likely be out of town at the time the number is ported and need to leave my wife detailed instructions.

Then, what happens to the original number? I want the second line with a different area code
#16023 by niknak
Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:16 am
I ported my number from verizon
it took just about 4 weeks, ooma gave me the date certain that the port would occur
on that morning the verizon landline was dead, I rebooted the ooma hub and switched my phone cable from the verizon demarc to ooma and voila - dialtone and blue tab! I have had no problems ever since
#16033 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:03 pm
When porting happens your main ooma number will be your old landline number. If you have an ooma number it will go away, unless you call them and let them know you want it as your second number.
(must have Premier to have 2 numbers).

Sometimes the port happens in the background and nothing is required of you.

Otherwise, what niknak said above.

Wayne
#16963 by dldugan
Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 am
Verizon ported the number on 8/22 and landline was dead on 8/23. Called OOMA support and only had to wait less than 10 minutes for a rep. There was a little problem with the English, but we finally were able to communicate. The call quality was terriible, fades and echoes. Not a very good advertisment for the service.

However, I guess porting is not so seemless. I was told that it would be at least the 24th before the number would be active and I should try it then.

It appears to me that OOMA already has the number as callers recieve a message that All Circuits are Busy. Verizon says this message is not coming from them.

If you expect a seemless port you may be disappointed.