Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15187 by EBoon
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:47 pm
EBoon wrote:OK - Two words for everyone : Tomato and QOS

Now have ooma setup off my router with QOS. This thing rocks! Cannot get bad voice quality no matter how much crap I get going on the network. I setup QOS using my MAC ID of the ooma hub. Make sure that you uncheck the ACK prioritize setting in QOS setup if you use any kind of bit torrent program.

I'm a happy camper - thanks to everyone for all the help!

Oh yeah - I also turned off TCP Vegas - seemed a little better with it off
#15190 by Aveamantium
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Been using Tomato since version 0.03 and love it. However, the only drawback to Tomato's Qos (as compared to the ooma) is that it runs all the time where as the ooma's Qos only runs when a call takes place. If you have an ISP that supplies you with a constant bandwidth (doesn't vary during the day) then Tomato will work perfect because you can set your "max bandwidth" fields to whatever you normally get. However, if your bandwidth varies a lot during the day (as mine does) you're forced to use the lower end of the fluctuating bandwidth to ensure that when the bandwidth is low the Qos doesn't "break". Unfortunately, when the bandwidth goes up, Tomato will cap you at whatever you set. This is where the ooma Qos shines. You can set it at the lower end of the fluctuating bandwidth and know that you’re good during a call but if you’re not on a call ooma no longer shapes traffic giving you the entire bandwidth even during the high bandwidth periods.
#15191 by Aveamantium
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:52 pm
EBoon wrote:

Now have ooma setup off my router with QOS. This thing rocks! Cannot get bad voice quality no matter how much crap I get going on the network. I setup QOS using my MAC ID of the ooma hub. Make sure that you uncheck the ACK prioritize setting in QOS setup if you use any kind of bit torrent program.

I'm a happy camper - thanks to everyone for all the help!

Oh yeah - I also turned off TCP Vegas - seemed a little better with it off

TCP Vegas is intended to avoid LAN congestion on a network but doesn't necessarily prioritize VoIP traffic. Consequently, it doesn't really work well for VoIP.
#15192 by Aveamantium
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:54 pm
niknak wrote:congratulations, glad to hear that you got everything configured
others here should take the time to setup their network configuration in order to have a Working Home phone Network

That was slick! :)
#15193 by atici
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:55 pm
I am glad you decided to go through with my suggestion :) I knew you'd come out happy. Enjoy your ooma for years to come...
#15204 by WayneDsr
Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:38 pm
congratulations, glad to hear that you got everything configured
others here should take the time to setup their network configuration in order to have a Working Home phone Network

Geezz, I didn't even catch that one until now. That was great! :-)

Wayne