Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#13388 by erikman
Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:56 am
I have just started using ooma with my landline # ported over. Here is my problem, I want ooma to use my landline number to accept incoming calls while the number ports. I don't want outgoing calls to go on the landline because of the plan I have. (was using skype before with minimal AT&T plan)

I called ooma support, who said that I could not do that. He said ooma will try to route local calls through the landline. I agreed to try it and monitor my landline bill.

Now ooma voicemail is broken. It sounds like it is trying to get to AT&T voicemail, which I don't have... what is going on?

I don't understand why the ooma hub cannot support minimal use of the landline for incomming and 911 only. I was considering to keep another number at <$10/mo just for 911 even after my number ports, but that isn't possible?

What can I do for the next 4 weeks until my number ports? Can't I have a landline just for 911 after it ports?

Thanks,
Erik
#13389 by WayneDsr
Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:07 am
If you have ooma setup WITH a landline all your local calls will go out through your landline, all long distance calls will use your ooma line.

All calls coming in will use your landline.

I chose to use ooma WITHOUT integrating my landline. ooma is separate from the landline. I have a phone plugged into a phone jack in another room that utilizes my landline.
All calls in or out use my ooma only.

If I wanted my landline to ring into ooma, I would need to put call forwarding on my landline to ooma. (which I don't)

ooma is plugged into my wall jack from it's WALL output and if ooma or my network goes down for any reason, my landline takes it's place.
911 calls do work on ooma as long as your have your information properly setup in the lounge.

Wayne
#13390 by southsound
Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:10 am
Yes and sort of. In your situation, you really don't want to integrate the ooma hub and your landline. Several of us on the board have landlines we have kept but have chosen not to connect them through ooma. Just call ooma and tell them you want to use your hub without a landline. Then all calls will go out through the ooma. Until the port, calls to your landline number will still ring on the landline. Calls to your temporary number will ring on the phones connected to the hub.

Here is the sort of: When the port is complete your telco (ATT) will disconnect service completely. I am assuming you are using cable or something besides DSL for your Internet. You will need to have a second, new number with no bells and wistles for your 911 landline. It might cost you a few dollars for installation of the second line, but it is the only way to do it.

It's early and I'm on just my second cup of coffee so if some of this doesn't make sense, please let me know. :cool:

<<darn! Wayne is in a different timezone so he's already awake and always types faster than me anyways. But he's a great guy and his advice is always spot on - especially when it agrees with mine>>