Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#12730 by Laser
Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:02 am
Hello,
I have a working hub that i use regularly, with the basic (free) plan. I didn't have a need for the scout until recently, so I've plugged it in, but the tab and the 4 bottom buttons are all red. I've read the troubleshooters and switched the wall and phone jacks, just to double check. i've also tried other wall jacks in the house. no luck.
Can someone help?

Thanks,
Laser
#12731 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:07 am
To determine if the problem is with the scout or the house wiring, try temporarily connecting the wall port on the hub to the wall port on the scout directly (no house wiring) to see if the scout works and let us know.
#12734 by scottlindner
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:02 am
Groundhound wrote:To determine if the problem is with the scout or the house wiring, try temporarily connecting the wall port on the hub to the wall port on the scout directly (no house wiring) to see if the scout works and let us know.

Just to be clear, Groundhound is suggesting that you use a short length of phone line with plugs on both ends. I know what you meant Groundhound, but I could see how someone might not understand.

Scott
#12764 by Laser
Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:03 am
thanks for the reply.
i get a blue light when i connect them both.
-edit-
actually, i have tried the scout before, on the same two jacks i'm trying to use now, but it's not working now.
#12770 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 am
So when you connect the hub's wall port to the jack, and the scout's wall port to another jack elsewhere in your home, the scout tab does not turn blue? If so, then the issue sounds like it is with the house wiring.

I saw from one of your earlier posts that you have cable internet, so DSL interference is not the problem. Do you still have a POTS line active? If not, have you disconnected the phone company's line at the demark box (pull the modular plug inside the box)?
#12854 by Laser
Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:28 pm
Groundhound wrote:So when you connect the hub's wall port to the jack, and the scout's wall port to another jack elsewhere in your home, the scout tab does not turn blue? If so, then the issue sounds like it is with the house wiring.

The apartment has brand new wiring, i watched them build the place, and so far i've tried the same configurations that i originally did when it did work, if i recall correctly.(apt isn't even a year old yet.)
Groundhound wrote:I saw from one of your earlier posts that you have cable internet, so DSL interference is not the problem. Do you still have a POTS line active? If not, have you disconnected the phone company's line at the demark box (pull the modular plug inside the box)?

a POTS line? demark box? that must be the box up the hill. I don't have an individual box that you might find on a home.
scottlinder wrote:If it's easy enough for you to do I'd check the continuity of the lines.

I guess i can check, but i seriously doubt that's the problem. I'll report back when i get a chance to have a look.

Thanks again.
#12856 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:07 am
Laser wrote:
scottlinder wrote:If it's easy enough for you to do I'd check the continuity of the lines.

I guess i can check, but i seriously doubt that's the problem. I'll report back when i get a chance to have a look.

Thanks again.

I know it is unlikely. That's why I asked only if it is easy. I had two wall plates that were not connected when we bought this house. I fixed them, only to never use them. I still have no clue why they weren't connected. The wires for those two plates were sitting disconnected in the demarc. Why would a previous owner do that?

Since it is an apartment you probably do not have access to the demarc, but you most likely have a little phone punch down block somewhere.

If you don't use Ooma at all, do you have dial tone on your lines?

Scott
#84308 by resq43
Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 am
I have the same problem as the OP. I have used my scout for the past few years and it just stopped working 2 days ago. POTS line disconnected at the Demark box years ago. When I plug wall to wall on the Hub to the Scout and plug a phone into the scout I get a static filled distant ooma dial tone...but a clear tone when just connected to the Hub. Moved the scout to other jacks in the home and still get the red tab and bottom 4 red lights on. There was a storm in morning the Scout stopped working so I wonder if it got zapped. Not much trouble shooting info found on the scout...any other ideas?

thanks
#84316 by WayneDsr
Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 am
resq43 wrote:I have the same problem as the OP. I have used my scout for the past few years and it just stopped working 2 days ago. POTS line disconnected at the Demark box years ago. When I plug wall to wall on the Hub to the Scout and plug a phone into the scout I get a static filled distant ooma dial tone...but a clear tone when just connected to the Hub. Moved the scout to other jacks in the home and still get the red tab and bottom 4 red lights on. There was a storm in morning the Scout stopped working so I wonder if it got zapped. Not much trouble shooting info found on the scout...any other ideas?

thanks

Are you using a known good cable from the hub to the scout? Sounds like a bad connection between the 2.

Wayne