Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#12720 by StigMX5
Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:12 pm
I have a home alarm and I'm leaning to just keep the home POTS line now that I've played with ooma for a few hours. I haven't tried to connect the alarm yet to ooma, but I have some questions.

I have ATT unlimited plan for my home line. Supposedly, it offers unlimted local and long distance. However, in my area of Ohio, there are local numbers that are considered, "local plus" where ATT charges me a per minute usage even with an unlimited local and long distance plan. I was hit with over $15 of charges last month of "local plus" dialing.

This is why I started to look at ooma. When I signed up, I selected that I wanted to port and to use a temporary number. Now that I'm reading and playing, I see that I could use ooma with my local line, however, it seems like ooma will send local calls out the landline with that option.

What I would want is that inbound calls only come through the landline. 911 calls should go out the landline, while all other outbound calls (local or long distance) would go out through ooma service. Is that a possible under the local provisioning and ooma "keep your landline" option?

The other option would be to port my existing number to ooma, and then once ported, reestablish the POTS line under a new number just for the alarm system (about $13/mo with federal taxes, etc).

Any other options that I'm not thinking about? Thanks
#12722 by niknak
Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:33 pm
...what I would want is that inbound calls only come through the landline. 911 calls should go out the landline, while all other outbound calls (local or long distance) would go out through ooma service. Is that a possible under the local provisioning and ooma "keep your landline" option...

Yes, this is exactly how OOMA will work if you opt to keep your existing land line and get a new number for the ooma hub. Your friends and family still call your existing local number, and that is the number you'd give out to people.

I don't have an alarm system attached, but I have read here about others who successfully use the alarm dialer with ooma. Sometimes there are changes that need to be made to the dialing sequence on the alarm, either you do it or a terchnician from the alarm company can make the changes.
#12725 by StigMX5
Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:59 pm
niknak,

I had the impression that ooma would send all local calls out the landline and only long distance out ooma if configured to keep existing landline.

I understand now from your post and from a few other posting that ooma only sends out the local line if the internet is down or 911. I'll call them tomorrow and get my system reconfigured for keeping the local line.

Thanks again niknak.
#12729 by niknak
Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:43 pm
Glad I helped to clear it up for you.
911 will always go out over the existing local landline.

You will always be able to tell how the call is going out when you lift the receiver to make a call...if you hear the "ooma dial tone" you know the ooma hub is routing the call...if you hear a "normal dial tone" the call is going out through your land line ( and long distance charges will apply if dialing out of area)

Welcome to OOMA!
#12732 by murphy
Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:29 am
StigMX5 wrote:The other option would be to port my existing number to ooma, and then once ported, reestablish the POTS line under a new number just for the alarm system (about $13/mo with federal taxes, etc).

That is the way that I did it. My POTs line comes into my house underground which provides the best protection against cut wires disabling the reporting function of the alarm system. Alarm reporting over VOIP can be problematic. You don't want to encounter a dialing problem when the alarm system detects that your house is on fire.
#12733 by scottlindner
Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 am
Isn't there a way to configure Ooma to place only 911 calls out over the landline?

If you do not port your number and use only the Ooma number, I wonder if you can specify your outgoing CID in the Lounge to be your landline number? That way, no one would notice the difference but you'll have the capability you are looking for. At least I believe it'll be that way. I don't believe the Lounge gives you all of these options but I bet a call to customer service would work.

Cheers,
Scott
#12735 by ggilman
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:05 am
niknak wrote:Glad I helped to clear it up for you.

You will always be able to tell how the call is going out when you lift the receiver to make a call...if you hear the "ooma dial tone" you know the ooma hub is routing the call...if you hear a "normal dial tone" the call is going out through your land line ( and long distance charges will apply if dialing out of area)

Welcome to OOMA!

Sounds good, but I don't think it works this way. How would it know to use the land line vs. ooma before you dial? I think you mean when the party on the receiving end picks up. At that point, you get a little ooma chime (which I have personally disabled).

If ooma is down for some reason, it will chime just by picking up the hand set and you will be using the land line. Otherwise, to be certain of which route it took, you'll need to listen for the chime when the other user picks up.
#12736 by StigMX5
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:11 am
I'll call them later today and discuss the options. I have kids in the house, so you probably understand, telling them to listen for a certain tone when calling out would be hopeless.

I'll post back the results.
#12737 by scottlindner
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:31 am
ggilman wrote:
niknak wrote:Glad I helped to clear it up for you.

Welcome to OOMA!

Sounds good, but I don't think it works this way. How would it know to use the land line vs. ooma before you dial? I think you mean when the party on the receiving end picks up. At that point, you get a little ooma chime (which I have personally disabled).

If ooma is down for some reason, it will chime just by picking up the hand set and you will be using the land line. Otherwise, to be certain of which route it took, you'll need to listen for the chime when the other user picks up.

There are two tones: Ooma Dial Tone, and Ooma Connection Tone. The Ooma Dial Tone tells you the Ooma system is working. If there is a failure (red light on) you will get a regular dial tone if you are integrating a landline. If you ever pick up the phone and do not hear the Ooma Dial Tone you know for certain all calls will go out over your landline. Next is the Ooma Connection Tone. This only is heard if you have it enabled in the Lounge and when the receiving parties picks up the phone. If you hear the Ooma Connection Tone you know the call is being routed through Ooma, if you do not hear the Ooma Connection Tone then you know the call is going out over your landline. Obviously too late to avoid your local landline charges, but at least you can use it to test your configuration to ensure it is working the way you intend.

Scott
#12738 by bw1
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:58 am
When you call customer service, tell them you want to keep your landline and have it integrated with ooma and you want all local and long distance calls to go out using ooma. If they say they can't configure it that way, refer them to this post by Dennis P and Bobby B:
http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107&p=384&hilit=landline+calls#p384

You'll need to check if 911 calls will use ooma or your landline in this case. Also, check if you'll be able to set your outgoing caller id to the landline number and of course you'll need to cancel your port.

If you do that and keep your landline, you'll need to keep caller id on the landline. See here:
http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=702&p=3634&hilit=landline+calls#p3634

Also, right now none of the call treatments (blocking, multi-ring, etc.) will work with incoming calls to the landline.

And of course, you'll need to connect your landline from a wall jack to the wall port on the hub and optionally to the scout and all phones that you want to use will need to be connected to the phone port of the hub or a scout.

You'll also want to have the ooma connection tone enabled so that you know whether the call is going through ooma as Scott described.