Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#11638 by argo
Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:45 am
I've searched the forum but can't find my specific question here.

I've got 2 landlines and only one Ooma hub hooked up (I have a scout, but it's not connected...that's another question)
I have only registered one of my landlines with ooma.

When I'm not on the phone, voicemail works just fine. When I'm on a call on line one (the ooma line) I hear the beeps but the call won't go to voicemail. This is a business line and all callers get is ringing...no answer.

also, if I try to answer the call waiting from another phone in the house, all I get is the ooma second line.

Can I do anything? It could be a dealbreaker.

Here is my system: ATT modem/router ---ooma---2 line cordless panasonic phone.
I have my second landline coming from a splitter and not interacting with ooma.

I appreciate all help. I've had ooma since the beginning but didn't realize this was happening until recently, and haven't had time to address it.
#11642 by southsound
Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:55 am
If you are trying to use flash to pick up the call waiting call and it doesn't work, call ooma support at 888 711-6662. I've heard of this happening before and it is always a quick adjustment that ooma makes from their end that takes care of the problem.

Let us know how things work out!
#11644 by argo
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:07 am
I'll do that, thank you. But the more important question is getting the voicemail to pick up when I'm on the ooma line 1.

How can I do that??
#11651 by WayneDsr
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:53 am
My belief here is:

Since your second line is a landline not going thru ooma you won't be able to utilize ooma's voice mail or call waiting. For your second line to utilize ooma you need to port that number to ooma as well.

Wayne
#11653 by argo
Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:09 am
Hmmm. I may not have been clear. (or maybe I'm just not understanding your answer)

My second landline, which is not going through Ooma, is not used. Basically, we're just not ready to dump it yet. Using it for a fax right now and an occasional incoming from someone who has that number. It's kind of irrelevant to this discussion, EXCEPT that it's the reason that all of our phones are 2 line phones.

The real problem is, I think, just with my one landline which is an ooma number. 0001.
[0001 comes to a 2line panasonic base or remote receiver from the Ooma hub. Voicemail works fine if I'm not on a call.
When I AM on a call on 0001 and I get another call to that same number, I hear a callwaiting signal. I want Ooma voicemail to pick up that call.

Is that possible?

sorry to be dense about this. I'm not tech deprived or naive, I'm just missing something here about Ooma's capabilities or my wiring maybe.

I appreciate all your help with this. Please keep it coming.
#11655 by WayneDsr
Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:21 am
While on a call ooma 2nd line will ring in until it reaches the limit you set in the lounge for rings until voicemail picks up. (mine is set to 3 rings)

I would connect the scout directly to the hub via their WALL ports. Put them side by side. This way you have the ability to hit the voice mal envelope on the scout when you are on a call on line one and a call comes in and rings on the scout (line 2) and vise versa.

You could even connect the phone jack on the Scout to your second line of your 2 line phone as well.

Wayne
#11656 by argo
Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 am
I thought I read that somewhere, but I wasn't sure if it applied to
my problem.

Thank you!

I'll try it a little later and will let you (and anyone with the same problem know if it worked.)

I'll also post a couple of other issues I have... you've been very helpful. and patient. thanks again
#11677 by Dennis P
Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 pm
The second call is hitting your landline and triggering the call-waiting tone, however the ooma system doesn't "see" this call. In order for ooma to act on the second call (ring your other phones or forward it to voicemail), the call needs to come to us instead of hitting the landline. There are two ways to do this. (1) port your number to ooma - this allows ooma to see every call and to "do the right thing" or (2) cancel call-waiting on your landline and add Busy Call Forward (BCF). This forwards the second call to ooma when you already have an active call on the landline. We'll take the call, trigger a call-waiting tone for you (plus ring your other phones if you have a Scout installed) and forward it to voicemail if you don't answer. PM me if you want to pursue the BCF path, I can lookup the local number you should forward to.
#11678 by argo
Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:34 pm
Are you saying the previous solution won't work? I believe I have already canceled call waiting on my landline, I thought this call waiting WAS coming through Ooma.

?? Thank you for responding, but now I'm more confused. I thought I had the answer.