Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#11563 by ciscole
Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:15 pm
Here's my follow-up post. After a few minutes of excellent support from Michel I believe his name was, we were able to figure out the problem. I only have a modem connected to my ooma, no additional router. However it's a Motorola wireless modem which has a built in firewall. Once I disabled the firewall, my ooma was able to detect my network. Now I have to figure out how to configure my firewall correctly to include the ooma.
#11580 by southsound
Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 am
I just received the following quote in an email from hap55py. Rather than answer his question about porting directly, I thought I'd put it up here for those who have completed a port.
hap55py wrote:Thank you for putting me in touch with Sean. He activated my set-up, got me a new number and ooma is working now!
Would you know the answer to my next question: My old landline has not been terminated. I just joined ooma premier. Can my old landline number become the second free number through ooma's porting process without screwing up the new number Sean activated for me yesterday? I am afraid that when I request the old number to be ported, that it will de-activate the number Sean assigned yesterday - and confusion will be maximized!

I believe it will take careful coordination with ooma's customer service, but from what I've read from others, yes. You will have to keep the old landline working until the port is complete. And ooma should be able to make the ported number your second line if your request is communicated carefully to ooma. Time to call 888 711-6662 again. And great to hear that your ooma is working well now!

Also - if the old number is at a different location, you might want to talk to your telco to have the number call forwarded to the temporary second number that ooma will give you. That way you won't miss any calls to the old number while the port is taking place.