Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#10997 by superdad
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:03 am
I'm currently waiting for my number to be ported, & I'd like to know if I need a QOS enabled router. The one I have is old & doesn't seem to support QOS. I also have a firewall, how will this effect my setup of ooma?
#11002 by frank1
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:52 am
I bought a new d-link router that supports QOS. But also I wanted wireless N, so I decided to bit the bullet and get a new one.

If you have an old router that doesn't have QOS functionality and don't want to buy a new one. Then you could flash the firmware with opensource firmware available from either http://www.dd-wrt.com or http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

DD-WRT or Tomato will give you QOS functionality and give your old router a new life. You might want to check out those websites.
#11004 by superdad
Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:29 am
Is QOS absolutely necessary for Ooma to work? My router is Linksys BERSR11 and the last firmware for it on line was in '04.
#11011 by WayneDsr
Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:55 am
If ooma works fine as is, then no need to worry about QOS.
If you have lots of traffic on your network, ooma quality may degrade.
Hook ooma up and give it a whirl. If there are no issues you're good to go.

Wayne
#11013 by bw1
Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:17 am
superdad wrote:Is QOS absolutely necessary for Ooma to work? My router is Linksys BERSR11 and the last firmware for it on line was in '04.

The ooma hub acts as a router and has built in QOS. Just plug the Linksys router into the Home port of the ooma hub and the Modem port of the ooma hub into your Cable or DSL modem.

Or if you only have one computer, you can plug the computer into the Home port of the ooma hub.
#11016 by DougInAZ
Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:58 am
superdad wrote: I also have a firewall, how will this effect my setup of ooma?

The ooma FAQs contain a list of ports that must be open for ooma to function. Unfortunately, it is incomplete. With the ports in the list, ooma handled calls, but the answering machine and who knows what else, did not work in my simple hookup behind a Motorola SBG900 cable modem.

Check the thread Motorola Surfboard integrated modem router in the Installation folder to get the list of ports that seems to work. There is every reason to believe the list is incomplete, but so far there has been no help from ooma support.
#11062 by lohertz
Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:35 am
superdad wrote:Is QOS absolutely necessary for Ooma to work? My router is Linksys BERSR11 and the last firmware for it on line was in '04.

As much as I prefer the ooma behind routers, I would suggest the ooma REPLACE your router. Given you have a very popular router (I have 5 or so) you can use the router as a hub and let ooma take care of the routing.

I dont know how many PC's you have, but your choices would be to install new software on your router (Tomato or other) and place the ooma behind the router
OR
Put the ooma between the router and modem and turn the DHCP off in the Linksys and connect any PC to the linksys.

If you only have one PC, eliminate the router completely

The Ooma hub has QoS and a firewall.

If it is between the router and modem you need do nothing, given your specific situation, information at hand now and equipment listed.