Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#111569 by bpmaclin
Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:29 pm
Hello!
We have been ooma customers for months and are able to access the jacks around the house for phone service. We have the premier service with a 2nd number (for a fax), but cannot for the life of me figure out what to do in the one room where the fax is set up.

There is no dial tone when we plug a phone into that jack. When I go outside the "phone" box is locked and we can't open it (it has a little tab that is preventing the customer from opening it...there are two openings...one for customer access, one for telephone co access...the tel company access is closed with what appears to be a screw, customer access is closed with a tab).

Sooo...my question is, if I cannot get into the box outside, is there a way to do *something* to the jack inside the house so that I can set up my fax (and will that 2nd number be automatically offered in that room...how exactly does that work?).

I guess I had a few questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Beth :)
#111576 by t15industries
Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 am
Since you have dial tone at every other jack I'm leaning towards the possibility there may be something wrong with that specific jack?

The customer portion of that box should allow you access to completely disconnect your home phones from the telco lines.
#111596 by bpmaclin
Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:31 pm
I should have been more clear. We have a phone system where the main phone is plugged into the modem and ooma telo and the other phones simply plug into the electrical outlet, so no actual phone jacks are in use.

Do I cut the tab on the outside box in order to open it? Also, is this the only way to get the jacks to work or can something be done on the inside of the house AT the actual jack?

Thanks much!
#111604 by lbmofo
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 pm
bpmaclin wrote:We have a phone system where the main phone is plugged into the modem and ooma telo and the other phones simply plug into the electrical outlet, so no actual phone jacks are in use.

I suppose you have a cordless phone system with a base that is plugged into the Telo? What do you mean by plugged into the modem also?
Since you don't have any other phone service, your other jacks likely don't have any dialtone either. You don't want to distribute your Ooma dialtone throughout the house unless you physically disconnected your house wiring from the telephone company.

/viewtopic.php?t=13354
#111610 by t15industries
Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:17 am
Yeah, sounds like there is a cordless system used and he wants to use a jack for the fax.

Either way you need to feed the Ooma into the house wiring. Easily done if the Ooma is near a phone jack... just use a splitter to enable you to connect your cordless system to the Ooma with the second side of that splitter feeding into your wired phone jack. This will put the dial tone to all of your jacks.

As stated before, you do need to disconnect the home wiring from the telco box. This is usually accessible thru the portion of the box you can access as a homeowner. There will either be two wires you can disconnect of a typical plug going into a jack you can disconnect.

Many telcos keep the dialtone alive for 911 calls so you do need to make sure it is disconnected.
#111823 by bpmaclin
Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:47 pm
Here is a picture of the outside box. There are 2 lines (black) that look like phone jacks. Do I just disconnect those?

Also, I am hoping this will allow the jacks inside to work so that I can get the fax to work. Once I have the fax working, how will my 2nd number be assigned to that jack? (We already have the 2nd number, its just never been used because the fax has never been set up).

Thanks so much for your replies! :)

Beth
Attachments
20130720_173351_resized.jpg
20130720_173351_resized.jpg (208.76 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
#111824 by lbmofo
Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:09 pm
Yes, you just unplug those black modular jacks to disconnect your house wiring from the phone company.
However, you seem to have inside jacks wired to different pairs so even if you feed Ooma "phone" port to one of your house wall jacks, you may not get Oona dialtone on some jacks.
Since you want to assign your 2nd number to your fax and keep it separate from your main line, you would need an Ooma Linx anyway. Create a personal account on the Linx and assign your 2nd number to that private account. With a Linx, there is a phone port you can plug your fax machine to.
#111826 by bpmaclin
Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:47 pm
Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I just disconnected the outside "jacks." My phone jacks still don't work inside. :( Its not an issue for the phones, because as I stated previously my phones are working due to the cordless system I have), but it would be nice to have my 1 cordless phone that is not apart of the "system" to be able to work.

I am guessing I should just go ahead and purchase the Linx system. I am still trying to understand what the Linx does...(and I swear, I am not an idiot!) if I plug it in to the room where I want the fax machine, will it only allow that particular jack to work...or will it allow jacks all over the house to work in addition to the fax? I read the reviews and it made it seem like it might work for the whole house.

I am hoping that the instructions are fairly self-explanatory once the Linx arrives.
#111829 by lbmofo
Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:06 pm
Linx would provide 1 "phone" port with Ooma dialtone wherever you have a power outlet.
You can plug your fax machine and/or more phones into the Linx phone port.
Linx talks to Telo wirelessly via DECT protocol.