Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#111473 by hehateme
Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:17 pm
Hi:

I am a new customer and I just got my number port done. I am trying to disconnect my landline from Century link.
When I open the phone panel outside my home I did not see any red/green line that I was expect. I saw the picture shown below. I think I have to disconnect blue/white line on the right side of the picture. Let me know if this is correct and if there is anything else I need to do.

Thanks
#111485 by parity_bit
Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:00 am
OK,
DISCLAIMER I am no expert!

However, judging from the picture it simply looks like the NID has some extra safety mechanisms built in to where the trunk line? (if that's the right term) interfaces with your home's wiring.
If I were to guess, I'd say the red tab would allow you to remove part of the plastic shielding and merely disconnect the test line from the test jack behind it, thereby breaking the circuit and disconnecting Century Link.

At that point, I guess for simplicity? you would get the red underscoring plastic to line up completely with Disconnected and snap the plastic shielding back into place. (though that part seems very minor, it just helps everything to be labelled to be able to tell at a glance)
#111498 by hehateme
Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:18 pm
I removed blue and white lines, wrapped them with tape, left a note saying do not connect land line.
After that I plugged in telo into a phone jack. All phone jacks are now working as expected.
#112090 by alchav21
Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 pm
hehateme wrote:I removed blue and white lines, wrapped them with tape, left a note saying do not connect land line.
After that I plugged in telo into a phone jack. All phone jacks are now working as expected.

You did the right thing, just make sure you wrapped the Blue and White separately so they won't short. They are using Cat5 Data wiring for Phone, not uncommon. :cool: