Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#111398 by tennisman888
Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:40 am
I've been reading other posts but don't see my exact problem. Here it goes. I believe my home wiring is disconnected from the phone company. See attached photo. My ooma device and one phone works fine with dial tone. However every other phone jack in the house when i plug up a second phone it says 'check TEL line' and I receive no dial tone. On back of my Ooma unit I have a 2 way splitter cable. One goes from the 'phone' port of Ooma unit to the wall telephone jack, the other from the ooma unit to the working cordless phone. Could it be a bad second phone? Please help.
Attachments
IMAG0140.jpg
IMAG0140.jpg (88.75 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
#111400 by murphy
Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:18 am
I only see one pair (red, green) going into your house. There has to be some kind of a junction box inside where all of the wall jacks in the house terminate. They all have to connect to that pair that leaves the outside box.

You are disconnected from the old phone company. I recommend putting tags on the two plugs in the box warning not to reconnect them.
#111409 by murphy
Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:09 pm
If it's a really old house the wall jacks would be daisy chained together and one wire pair would be normal.
That would mean all of your jacks would already be working.

In a modern house they use home run wiring where each wall jack is run back to a central location and connected together there. In many cases they are all run back to the outside box, That is not how your house was done so there has to be a junction box somewhere. If you have a basement I would look there first (it's cooler than the attic).
#111430 by beerman1957
Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:59 am
I see two pair on the picture. Yellow and Black are not used. Red and green are. So, you should be able to route back onto the Y/B pair. If you can't get a signal to your other outlets, then pull the connector from the wall and check to see if the pairs are connected properly. A "Fox and Hound" unit is a great way to check wiring. It sends an audible beep across the entire pair and should ping a sound back to your box outside.

Or, you can save yourself all kinds of pain and headache by getting DECT 6.0 wireless. For $70 you get a Panasonic KX-TG6513B... check Amazon or local store.
#111436 by Mr.CC
Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:49 am
Before messing with the house's wires, I would suggest unplugging the working phone from the Telo and plugging it into a wall jack. This would tell you if the second phone is bad or if there is a wiring problem.