Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#9755 by dinks100
Fri May 15, 2009 6:56 pm
Why not just keep the number you have?
#9757 by southsound
Fri May 15, 2009 7:38 pm
Just as trim81 said, a phone call to 888 711-6662 will do the trick. You can check for availability of numbers in the new area by going to http://www.ooma.com/did_search-popup.php. The tech support group can transfer your unit to the new number as you are online. Be cautious about who has your existing number so you can update them when the time comes. There is no referral service available.

You might want to do like dinks100 said and keep your old number, add the new local one, and subscribe to Premier for $99 a year. That makes it so both your old and new friends can call locally - plus you get all of the Premier features to boot.
#9760 by number9
Sat May 16, 2009 6:54 am
This I found in the knowledge base. I used the word 'moving' in the search and this is what I came up with.

You can take the ooma system anywhere you move in the US. And if you're using the ooma system without a landline, you can take your phone number too! If you plan on moving, please contact customer support. They will work with you to update your system and configure it to work at your new location.

If you do use ooma with an integrated landline, you may also be able to port your number to ooma, prior to cancelling phone service with your current landline phone service provided. The porting process takes up to 3 weeks and is available in most areas. This will allow you to take your ooma system AND phone number to your new location! All you'd need at the new location is a broadband internet connection.

Are you planning a trip outside of the US? If you are, you can take your ooma device. This turns expensive international calls into free local US calls.
#9784 by dinks100
Sat May 16, 2009 8:13 pm
WayneDsr wrote:If he keeps the number he has everyone in the new location will have to call long distance to call his original number.

Wayne

I hadn't thought about long distance calling, good point Wayne.

My bad.

How about getting everyone who would call on ooma?

:)