Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#110984 by wingtipshoes
Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:55 am
Subject: Configuration question: Having two Ooma Telos to share one internet connection

I would like add one more Ooma Telo to my household. The net is to have two Ooma Telos, one Telo and one Telo Air Wireless, in my own household. The router is Netgear N750 and the IP upload speed is 2Mbps.

After reading several postings about QoS+ Ooma settings on the Ooma Forum, I came up two somewhat educated guesses.

Current configuration:
•Cable Modem-> Telo ->Netgear Router
•QoS is turned off
•It is working fine as far as Ooma concern

Future configuration 1:
•Cable Modem-> First Telo ->Netgear Router-> Second Telo with Air Wireless
•QoS is turned on with manually entered Ooma specific ports (UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-30000, TCP 110, TCP 53 and TCP 443)
•Question: when both Telos are being used at the same time, would the First Telo hogs the bandwidth and throws the QoS setting out of the window. If that were the case, would that make the performance of the second Telo unpredictable?

Future configuration 2:
•Cable Modem -> Netgear Router -> First Telo (wired) + Second Telo Air (wireless)
•QoS is turned on with manually entered Ooma specific ports (UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-30000, TCP 110, TCP 53 and TCP 443)
•Question: when both Telos are being used at the same time, would they compete for the same ports and make both Telo having poor quality of communication?

Last but not least, are there any other configurations that would serve better on a single internet connection? Thank you!
#110987 by murphy
Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:34 pm
In the first configuration you will have to change the IP address range that one of the Telos uses to 172.27.36.1.
You can't have the same subnet before and after the router. The router wouldn't know where to send the packets.

Use configuration 2 so both Telos have an equal chance at the bandwidth.
#111057 by wingtipshoes
Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:01 pm
Thanks for your guidance. If I may ask two follow-on questions:

Configuration: Cable Modem-> First Telo ->Netgear Router-> Second Telo with Air Wireless

Question 1. In your comment “In the first configuration you will have to change the IP address range that one of the Telos uses to 172.27.36.1”, do you mean that I need to connect my computer to the Telo unit via a Ethernet cable and then change the Telo’s system setting?

Question 2. In the first configuration, will the upstream bandwidth of the second Telo, the one behind the router, varies depends on whether the first Telo is in use or not? If that were the case, then should the router’s QoS Bandwidth Control feature be turned off then since the upstream bandwidth is not a constant value?

Thanks again for your help.
#111059 by murphy
Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:17 pm
wingtipshoes wrote:Thanks for your guidance. If I may ask two follow-on questions:

Configuration: Cable Modem-> First Telo ->Netgear Router-> Second Telo with Air Wireless

Question 1. In your comment “In the first configuration you will have to change the IP address range that one of the Telos uses to 172.27.36.1”, do you mean that I need to connect my computer to the Telo unit via a Ethernet cable and then change the Telo’s system setting?

Question 2. In the first configuration, will the upstream bandwidth of the second Telo, the one behind the router, varies depends on whether the first Telo is in use or not? If that were the case, then should the router’s QoS Bandwidth Control feature be turned off then since the upstream bandwidth is not a constant value?

Thanks again for your help.

1. Yes
2. No. Presumably there are other devices connected to the router so you need to guarantee enough bandwidth to allow the second Telo to work.

This looks like a trial and error situation.
Set the first Telo's upstream QOS to 80% of your measured upstream bandwidth. The downstream should be zero (disabled).

Start with the router QOS also set to 80%. The make calls with both Telos at the same time and see if the audio is okay.
If it is you are done. If it's not then adjust the router QOS downward until the audio is okay.
#111061 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:15 pm
If I were you, put both Telos after the router (for you, 1 connected to router's LAN port and 1 via wifi adapter). Turn both Telo's QoS off. Set router QoS and give highest priority to both Telos (via LAN Telo's modem port MAC and wifi Telo's wifi adapter MAC).

Optimal setup for after router - viewtopic.php?t=12403
#111438 by wingtipshoes
Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:25 pm
Thanks for excellent advice from both of you. My two Ooma Telos are up and running and running flawlessly for several days now.

I ended up combining your inputs and did the following:
1. change the IP address range of one of the Telos to use to 172.27.36.1
2. Add MAC addresses of the Telos and the wireless adapter to the QoS list
3. Put both Telos behind the router
4. Turn the QoS on

The sound quality is just excellent so far.

Thanks again.
#111439 by highq
Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:57 pm
wingtipshoes wrote:Thanks for excellent advice from both of you. My two Ooma Telos are up and running and running flawlessly for several days now.

4. Turn the QoS on

Thanks again.

Why change the IP addresses for the Telo's DHCP service?
You have some devices hanging off of each Telo?
#111461 by parity_bit
Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:49 am
highq wrote:
wingtipshoes wrote:Thanks for excellent advice from both of you. My two Ooma Telos are up and running and running flawlessly for several days now.

4. Turn the QoS on

Thanks again.

Why change the IP addresses for the Telo's DHCP service?
You have some devices hanging off of each Telo?

Were I to venture a guess, I would say it would be to ensure that the OP had access to the internal configuration pageset of both Telo's. I guess the assumption was that the second Telo would get confused seeing as there was already one Telo on the network with an internal address of 172.27.35.1.

I think the confusion comes in when determining how the internal config page is going to be accessed (Whether by Home or Internet. I prefer through the Internet port myself, but others may have their reasons for going the Home route.)

My configuration is Modem-->gateway-->router-->Telo (The gateway is completely superfluous, but unfortunately is not an option to remove because it is how a certain ISP is set. The modem is a huge NID outside, then they have a "residential gateway" inside. It can be circumvented but I just haven't put the time into it yet. The router is used since the gateway is at such a location that a set of computers in a remote location can't readily access it.)
The computer I primarily use to make changes to the Telo's internal config pages is connected to the router via cat5.
The addresses get assigned via the router for those computer located in the "south wing" but those in the "north wing" are assigned via the gateway. The Telo isn't responsible for assigning any IPs and there's no ethernet cable attached to the Home port. I have QOS set only on the Telo and it has ironed out any wrinkles that existed in voice quality before instating a value there.

In a theoretical configuration of having Modem(Z)-->Telo(wA)-->router(B)-->Telo(C)--->managing computer(D)
were the internal IP of C's Home port not changed then D could only access C or wA but not both because the first Telo(wA) would have an internal address of 172.27.35.1 and computer D would access C through the Home port which would also have the same internal address as wA. Hope this simplifies things ;) haha