Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#109647 by murphy
Thu May 09, 2013 2:21 am
amorusocc wrote:Anybody?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15732

It's a two way street, I asked you a question which you didn't answer.
#109648 by lbmofo
Thu May 09, 2013 6:26 am
murphy, your avatar is still not visible with 3 different computers and all kinds of browsers :)

amorusocc, seems you're feeding the walljack that comcast modem used to feed to (using Ooma) so alarm line seizure is working and you do see calls made to alarm central on Ooma call logs when doing phone testing?

If that's the case, try programming your panel to use *70 prefix (disable call waiting); I found this to work best for my alarm.
You can also try dialing prefix *98, *99 Here are the complete star codes: /viewtopic.php?t=14903

I talk about my alarm dialing prefix here: /viewtopic.php?t=8957#p62487
#109655 by murphy
Thu May 09, 2013 9:35 am
lbmofo wrote:murphy, your avatar is still not visible with 3 different computers and all kinds of browsers :)

I don't know what to tell you.
Here is a snapshot from my screen.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (65.86 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
#109656 by billinin
Thu May 09, 2013 10:13 am
If the fault message reoccurs after it is cleared and before any communication takes place then the issue is probably related to line supervision.

In addition to what others have recommended; some alarm panels monitor polarity and standing voltage of the line it is connected to. Try reversing the wires, i.e. polarity at the jack the Telo feeds.

Nothing we can do about the Telo output voltages. I never did get a chance to compare my ATT land line voltages to the Telo output voltages; if anyone could comment it would be interesting to see:

1) On hook
2) Ringer
3) Off hook

Normally a land line central office would provide

1) On hook 48VDC
2) Ringer 96VAC@20Hz
3) Off hook 7-10VDC

Switch polarity at the jack, clear the fault message of the panel and then see what happens. Let us know please.
Last edited by billinin on Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
#109658 by lbmofo
Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 am
murphy wrote:
lbmofo wrote:murphy, your avatar is still not visible with 3 different computers and all kinds of browsers :)

I don't know what to tell you.
Here is a snapshot from my screen.

Now, it is working.
#109674 by Telo_BK
Thu May 09, 2013 2:18 pm
The green wire (TIP) is nominally 48V more positive than the red (RING) wire- with the phone on-hook. When the line is active there's a nominal 600-ohm load provided by that equipment. Depending on the resistance of the wire and a few other factors, that can mean the nominal voltage of 7-10V mentioned by billinin (but I've seen it lower than that, and all's well). So this might help with the earlier suggestion about polarity (the TIP and RING in terminals should be marked). I would think polarity would cause a fault condition as soon as the panel is active, if it cared. I wouldn't expect it try to go through all the data exchange first. Polarity is really only a mechanism to detect line tampering and isn't necessary for the data transmission, since that is solely frequency-dependent (at least in panels I know about).

Keep this in mind- the green (TIP) wire is tied to earth ground (somewhere), so the Linx, and the Telo my cause a ground loop through their power supplies (an AC loop), which can cause lots of noise. The only solution is a coupling transformer (some older panels have it on the PCB, but yours is likely newer) or a differential amplifier (such as an op-amp) which has an isolated supply (or a great power supply rejection rato- PSRR), and very good common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR).

It sounds like your alarm's problem is not noise, however, since ADC is able to communicate with it. But you could connect a battery-powered audio amp with speaker (used to be called a signal tracer) to the phone leads to listen to the signals. I've had to do that in the past with alarm panels connected to a cable modem/telephone interface (SLIC). Murphy and billinin sound like they know their alarm and telco stuff. I am thinking that ADT will need to provide you more tech help with their panel.

You've probably looked at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11514

You probably have the Linx device set to Alarm mode in the MyOoma preferences. That really should work for just about any situation with nothing else needed.

If the kiss-off is not received your panel should call again two or three times (at least, and this can be changed in most panels). This is another situation in which the signal tracer is handy- you can actually hear it. Another consideration is that you might ask ADT if they can tell you how to change the modulation scheme to something more compatible with your VOIP, the data exchange will be slower but more reliable. Others have said that ADT uses Contact ID format, and that can cause a problem. But it should be okay with Linx

Keep us posted!
#110039 by amorusocc
Sun May 19, 2013 2:33 am
All,
Thanks for your replies. Turned out to be a voltage issue. Adt came out reprogrammed panel to look for a lower voltage that ooma was putting out and cleared error.
All is good
Thanks
#110072 by billinin
Mon May 20, 2013 5:17 am
Thanks for getting back to us. Looks like you had an ADT line supervision issue, probably an ADEMCO panel.
#110128 by Telo_BK
Tue May 21, 2013 12:31 pm
When I had phone service from the cable company- they initially couldn't make our phones ring reliably. I found this out after a week or two when multiple friends and associates told me that we "never answer [our] phone". I found out that the (first) Network Interface they gave us put out a very low ring voltage- way below the FCC standard. I also had a supervision and recording circuit I had made. Like our Siemens phone system, it too was "fooled" by the incorrect (non-standard) signals. I was able to change a single resistor value to fool it into working.

The cable folks tried a few others and were able to get our phone to ring, but each time they changed the box (three times) different problems went away, and new ones occurred. It was a big time sink at a time when my consulting business was extremely busy.

It sounds like your alarm panel defaulted to looking for signals that meet US and international standards. Does that imply that this problem is the panel's fault? Maybe all phone service providers should just ensure that their equipment meets the standards, so people don't have to invest time looking for work-arounds.