Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#109421 by evalentejr
Wed May 01, 2013 12:20 pm
Good day to all.

I have the old Classic OOMA hub that is still working, but has been out of warranty since 2010. Fearing service sudden service loss or degraded quality I bought a newer hardware (OOMA telo) previously owned from ebay. I have been holding off the upgrade, but I believe (your opinion appreciated) that the newer unit will provide better voice quality.

So two questions:
1. Will the newer unit work better with the service from the point of view of quality?
2. How easy, or difficult is it to replace one with the other with the goal of keeping the same number/service?

Thanks you all.
#109422 by lbmofo
Wed May 01, 2013 12:52 pm
As far as ease, just need to call in to customer service and they'll do the hardware swap for you over the phone. However, if your new unit is used, there will be $79.99 activation/change of ownership charge. Your previous device will require the same fee if you or someone else wanted to activate that in the future.

As far as quality, if you have good internet, there shouldn't be much quality difference. I can't tell the quality difference between Hub and Telo anyway. Telo is supposed to provide better quality with poor internet though (if you have packet loss etc).

If you have Scouts with your Hub as private device, you'd need to replace those with Linx that works with Telo.
#109423 by dsinternet
Wed May 01, 2013 12:55 pm
I have never had a Hub, but I would think the Telo quality would be at least as good the Hub.
It is really easy to switch. Just contact Ooma CS.
There is a fee if the unit was activated before. If no one has used the Telo uni before you, then I think there is no additional cost.
#109424 by evalentejr
Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 pm
Thanks for the information. Is there anyway to tell if a unit has been previously used by a customer? Or is that something that only CS would be able to say? I am not quite sure if the unit bought online was previously activated. It was bought at a marginally cheaper price than at the store from what I recall.

In a related note I intend to activate a second "bought from the store" telo with a ported number from Verizon. I understand that process to be relatively easier to undergo and can be done online. Correct?
#109425 by EX Bell
Wed May 01, 2013 1:09 pm
lbmofo wrote:However, if your new unit is used, there will be $79.99 activation/change of ownership charge.

That activation charge is so steep. It seems like it's not worth buying used. If he had purchased new, would there still be a charge to move his account from the Hub to the Telo?
#109427 by lbmofo
Wed May 01, 2013 1:50 pm
EX Bell wrote:
lbmofo wrote:However, if your new unit is used, there will be $79.99 activation/change of ownership charge.

That activation charge is so steep. It seems like it's not worth buying used. If he had purchased new, would there still be a charge to move his account from the Hub to the Telo?

No charge for swapping out devices as long as you are activating a new device (or never activated factory refurb).

evalentejr wrote:Thanks for the information. Is there anyway to tell if a unit has been previously used by a customer? Or is that something that only CS would be able to say? I am not quite sure if the unit bought online was previously activated. It was bought at a marginally cheaper price than at the store from what I recall.

In a related note I intend to activate a second "bought from the store" telo with a ported number from Verizon. I understand that process to be relatively easier to undergo and can be done online. Correct?

Yes, new devices can be activated online. Once account setup, you can start porting your number in.
As for whether you can tell if the device has been activated before or not...easiest way is to call customer service.